Spa Renovation - How do you make spa 2 inches higher

TLT

Feb 28, 2020
los ángeles
I am renovating my pool coping and deck. The spa is elevated and topped with brick and attached to a small elevated walk way. I am installing marble coping and decking. I am now thinking that I would like to redo the top of spa and walkway except the spa is too wide for 12" x 24" coping. The spa would need coping that is at least 16" wide which I cannot locate anywhere. The stone is Diana Royal marble.

Is there a simple way to make my spa 2" - 4" higher so I can just tile all of it and any eliminate coping around the spa?

Attachments

• pool 2.jpeg
    pool 2.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 44
You could always get a hold of a stone fabricator, get a slab of marble, quartzite or granite or whatever. Have the fabricator measure, cut and install the whatever you decide on getting. A slab typically runs ~70 sq ft and depending on the level (eg cost per sq ft) can cost anywhere from $420 to $7000. Level 1 is the lowest, level 6 the highest typically. Shouldn't be anymore difficult than installing it in a kitchen. Actually, probably easier.

Reactions: TLT and cowboycasey
In order as I posted
Level 5
Level 5
Level 6

They are all 3cm thick, the remaining 2cm could probably be made up of mortar that you're going to need anyway...I think.

There are some very pretty slabs out there that are level 1 or 2. In fact our kitchen counter is a level 2 and is called "Jaguar Leather" as it has a leathered feel to it. I wanted "Cougar Leather" but all I got was weird looks with that statement. LOL

Point is, I think it's very doable but you won't know until you ask or go take a look and, naturally, depending on your budget.

In order as I posted
Level 5
Level 5
Level 6

They are all 3cm thick, the remaining 2cm could probably be made up of mortar that you're going to need anyway...I think.

There are some very pretty slabs out there that are level 1 or 2. In fact our kitchen counter is a level 2 and is called "Jaguar Leather" as it has a leathered feel to it. I wanted "Cougar Leather" but all I got was weird looks with that statement. LOL

Point is, I think it's very doable but you won't know until you ask or go take a look and, naturally, depending on your budget.
"Cougar Leather" was so funny you probably heard me laughing in Texas. Personally, my favorite slab is the first one because the wide movement make the blue look like ocean waves and the brown/tan looks like swirling sand. It would be neat to do a digital mock up of that slab on a pool with soft blue glass tile. Stunning!!!!

On my spa and raised wall they used the same 12" coping as the rest of the pool. The 12' coping in these areas was cut down to about 8" and there is one row that faces inwards and one row that faces outwards. I think it looks good, and I am told that I am very picky, lol. I will see if I can find a pic for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.