spa not circulating

dewser

Oct 24, 2019
Fl
I have a 1997 leasure bay hot tub.It has been working fine for years.We shut it down and drained it for about 4 months.Now i filled it up and the jets do not work the bubbles work but where it takes in the water and sends it to the filter is not working and with not heat up either.Any sugestions on a fix or what to check

Welcome to TFP.

Sounds like a pump is not running. Could be a problem with power, or the pump, or a relay, or the control board. If you have a multimeter and can open it up and get into the wiring you can try diagnosing the problem.

next to the inlet is an outlet and it is pumping water out

Pumping water out to where? Water can’t go out without it coming in someplace. A hot tub is a closed loop system.

on the bottom side of the tub there is a inlet with holes in the cover where the water goes in and to the filter then from the filter it comes out next to the screened inlet from a small jet which is working.When we had the tub working a few months ago if you put your hand over the screen you could feel the suction now there is no suction

Suction comes from a pump. Either a pump is not working or a hose is blocked.

Where is the water circulating that is coming out of the jet?

Some pictures may help us understand your situation better.

D,

If your hot tub is like mine, it has two pumps.. A circulation pump and a jet pump. The circulation pump runs most all of the time and the jet pump only runs when you turn the jets on. The circulation pump draws water from the surface, across the filter and then back out a small port or hole in the bottom of the hot tub. The jet pump sucks water from the the little inlet hole with the cover in the bottom of the tub.

Sounds to me like the circulation pump is working, but your jet pump is not working.

Certainly could be a bad pump or some failure in the relay or circuity to turn it on, but the first thing I would look at is an air lock.. If you filled the tub by putting the hose on the bottom of the tub to fill it, that can cause an air lock. When filling an empty tub, you should take the filter out and put the hose in the bottom of the filter area to fill the tub. An air lock can prevent the pump from running.

If this were my tub, I would drain it and start filling it again... If you do not believe it to be an air lock, then you need to use a voltmeter and test the voltage going into jet pump.. If you have voltage, but the pump is not running then the pump is bad.. If you have no voltage, then you need to work backwards toward the control box and see why not. You can also look at the jet pump and see if it has a pressure switch, or some other safety device, that is preventing it from working.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
D,

If it has an air lock, then draining it and refilling it should remove any air lock... if that is the problem..

If it was working before you shut if off 4 months ago, it should work now.. But things happen.. I drained mine once with the power on.. Oops.. Took out the circulation pump and I felt like the dumbest person in the world. :(

But, if this were my tub, I would drain and refill, just to eliminate the possibility of an air lock.. Make sure you take the filter(s) out and put the hose in the bottom of the area the holds the filters..

Obviously, there is no way to tell for sure that this will fix the problem, but it is easy to do and does not cost much..

Thanks,

Jim R.

here are some pics.The small pump is working.I am getting some suction in the inlet with the screen over it.I drained the tub and filled it a little bit through the filter

Attachments

• 20191025_095450_resized.jpg
    20191025_095450_resized.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20191025_095503_resized.jpg
    20191025_095503_resized.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20191025_095512_resized.jpg
    20191025_095512_resized.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20191025_095520_resized.jpg
    20191025_095520_resized.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20191025_095459_resized.jpg
    20191025_095459_resized.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 7
if the main pump is not working would that cause the heater not to work

Yes, could be. Many spas use the heat generated by the pump motor to heat the water. There is often not a separate heater.

I don't know the specifics of your model.

I had the main pump tested today and they said it is working fine but when i plug it back into the hot tub main box nothing.curculation pump working and bubble pump is working

That would say the problem is power, wiring, a relay, or control board in your hot tub.

thank you.it must be where the plug on the pump plugs into the box.There are a couple of fuses but they are solid and you cant see if they are blown or not

Attachments

• 20191030_154404_resized.jpg
    20191030_154404_resized.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 4
thank you.it must be where the plug on the pump plugs into the box.There are a couple of fuses but they are solid and you cant see if they are blown or not

Unscrew the fuse cap and the fuse pulls out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.