Spa Main Drain Cover Replace Issue

Sep 29, 2017
Miami, FL
I am replacing a broken cover in my in-ground spa (spa is 20 years old and covers have been replaced at least once previously a while ago). I bought a Hayward wgx1048E replacement cover. When I remove the old cover there is a flap that folds down and blocks the drain outlet if the cover is removed. The new cover does not have the "arms" underneath the cover to hold the flap open when the cover is in place. Do I need a new insert for the drain or did I by the wrong cover? Thanks.

Attachments

• image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 7
  • old3.jpg
    old3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 8
  • old.jpg
    old.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 8
  • old2.jpg
    old2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 7
I had only heard about those drains, never saw one. The spring-loaded flap was designed to do just what happened, loss of cover would result in the port closing to mitigate danger. They haven't been made in quiet a while, likely since the VGB act went into effect. If you don't want future issues with it the flap should be removed. The most popular retro-fit VGB compliant drain cover in my area is this:

A10RCFR101​

It comes with an adapter ring that will allow it to be mounted to the existing mud-ring and then the cover itself.

I had only heard about those drains, never saw one. The spring-loaded flap was designed to do just what happened, loss of cover would result in the port closing to mitigate danger. They haven't been made in quiet a while, likely since the VGB act went into effect. If you don't want future issues with it the flap should be removed. The most popular retro-fit VGB compliant drain cover in my area is this:

A10RCFR101​

It comes with an adapter ring that will allow it to be mounted to the existing mud-ring and then the cover itself.
Would I remove the insert bowl with the flap and just put a compliant cover on or do I need some new insert in the drain?

A10RCFR101​

Or can I just unscrew the flap and remove and put a complaint cover on

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.