Spa light won't turn on

May 13, 2018
Henderson, NV
Our spa light won't turn on. I pulled the housing and replaced the bulb (old bulb sounded bad when I shook it). Even with the replacement bulb, i can't get it to turn on. The switches are X10 WS467. I've tried every combination of pressing and holding to make sure it isn't just dimmed, but nothing brings the light up. Do these switches go bad? Anything else I can check?

IMG_2703.jpeg
IMG_2704.jpeg

How much do you have invested in X-10? Just these two, or a few others, or your whole house?

There are so much better technologies now. Ones that work from phone apps, computers, indoor wall switches, Alexa, you name it. Do you just want to control these two lights, or are you interested in expanding your Home Automation system?

How much do you have invested in X-10? Just these two, or a few others, or your whole house?

There are so much better technologies now. Ones that work from phone apps, computers, indoor wall switches, Alexa, you name it. Do you just want to control these two lights, or are you interested in expanding your Home Automation system?

I don't use the X10 at all, just came with the pool/house when I bought it. I've got an Alexa and have just bought some lutron dimmers for inside. I should also have good wifi signal at this spot, so any suggestions that would work with the Lutron hub or wifi?

The two X-10 switches in the box were dimmers. Were you using any dimming controller for them, or just on/off? And are the lights they control dimmable? Or were you just manually turning them on/off using the switches?

Yes, we did use the dimming function, though it's not a deal breaker, but it's nice to turn down the hot tub light a bit. Right now it's just 400watt incandescents, but I know there are better LED options out there (color?) that I may be willing to upgrade to as well.

So you need to decide that first. Color LED pool lights will not be dimmable, so you don't want to use dimmer switches. Colored LED lights are controlled either by pool automation systems, or a stand-alone LED light controller. I have a color LED light that is controlled with HA, so that is possible, too.

Before you buy anything, you should first decide what you want to be able to do, such as:

- White or colored lights
- Dimmable? (You can use non-dimming multi-colored LED lights to simulate dimming: white is bright, blue is dimmer, red is very dim, etc).
- Controllable from pool pad only?
- Controllable by app?
- Controllable by indoor wall switch?
- Controllable by pool automation (if you have any)?
- Scheduled?
- Auto off?
- Etc.

Build your wish list and post it here.

Then I'd suggest you rename your thread to something like "How Do I Control My Pool Lights with Home Automation?" Or maybe start a new thread with that name.

I'm 100% Insteon, so that's about all I could help with. If you've already got a hub and Alexa, then there are a few others here that will be better able to help with your switch selection, and changing the name of your thread, or starting new, will catch their eye.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any reason I couldn't use these? Lutron PD-6WCL-LA Caseta Wireless 600W Incandescent, 150W CFL or LED Single Pole / Multi Location Dimmer in Light Almond

Not sure if I need something rated for outdoor or since they are in the box I'm ok?
Others here will know if that one is a good choice based on your wish list. I can't tell from documentation if that's compatible with your hub or not. And I think that should be on your wish list: the ability to control the lights via phone app.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.