Spa light junction eliminate

kcindc

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 2, 2011
Fairfax, VA
My spa light has a junction box the sits in the middle of the yard. It is an eye sore and a tripping hazard. I need to replace the spa light as it doesn't work (rusted water inside probably circa 1980s). Is there a way to eliminate this and marry up the two conduits below ground without having to replace the entire conduit?IMG_0533.JPG thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short answer: no. I know I've seen pictures of flush-mounted boxes, so I googled and followed a link from an image to NEC Requirements for Installing Pools and Spas, Part 2 of 3

For luminaires greater than 15V, the junction box must be at least [680.24(A)(2)]:

4 in. above the ground or pool deck or not less than 8 in. above the maximum water level ( Fig. 2 ).

4 ft from the inside wall of the pool, unless separated by a solid fence, wall, or other permanent barrier.

For luminaires less than 15V, you can use a flush deck box if [680.24(A)(2)]:

An approved potting compound prevents the entrance of moisture.

The flush deck box is at least 4 ft from the inside wall of the pool.

If your pool lighting is low voltage, then you could dig things up and install a flush mount.

What I want to do is to join the two conduits eliminate the junction and put in a light with a cord long enough to reach from the spa to electrical breaker panel at my equipment pad.

Or if a junction is needed put it closer to the electrical panel instead of out in the yard without having to dig a whole new complete trench from the spa to the electric panel.

You need a junction box on 120v lights but you can move it near your panel. Keep in mind that you must also run a new #8 ground wire in the conduit (if the conduit is a non-metallic material).

The trouble you are going to have is splicing the existing conduit sections together and making them watertight if they are made of anything other than PVC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.