Spa level drops when in freeze protection mode

clairsan2023

Jan 24, 2023
Atlanta/GA
Overview - Our pool and spa are built on the main house level. The spa is built above the pool with a spillover waterfall. The pump and equipment are located on the ground level which is a good 10 feet below the pool. I say this because I believe gravity and water pressure are causing my problem. When the temp drops and the freeze protection activates, each cycle of pool mode to spa mode and back causes the spa level to drop about 1/2 - 1 inch. Over the course of several hours the spa level drops below the spa jets. The solution has been to turn on the spillover every 4-5 hours to transfer the water back from the pool to the spa. This has to be done as long as the freeze protection is operating.

My thinking is as the value moves from pool to spa and back there is a small amount of water that is transferred from the spa to the pool during that value transition due to the head pressure that builds up from the gravity of the 10 feet below the pool level and since the spa sits above the pool, it is the one that loses out in this exchange. Is this possible even with the check value in operation? Or regardless of the elevation difference between the pool/spa and the pump equipment water should not be leaking out.

One solution I thought about is to manually reposition the value at the actuator so when in pool mode and w/o the spillover feature on, a very small bit of water is allowed to travel from the pool to the spa as if the spillover was activated. This would allow enough water to go back into the spa during that 30 minute pool mode. Then when it goes back to spa mode any water that seeps into the pool during that transition will be replaced during the next pool mode cycle.

If this is possible I'll need some advice to know how to even go about fixing the actuator at the value. Also, will this little bit of water flow cause any issues with the freeze protection of the pipes? Assuming it can be done, once the treat of freezing temps is over in March or April I can reposition the actuator/value back to the original position until next winter.

Thanks for any insight.

Overview - Our pool and spa are built on the main house level. The spa is built above the pool with a spillover waterfall. The pump and equipment are located on the ground level which is a good 10 feet below the pool. I say this because I believe gravity and water pressure are causing my problem. When the temp drops and the freeze protection activates, each cycle of pool mode to spa mode and back causes the spa level to drop about 1/2 - 1 inch. Over the course of several hours the spa level drops below the spa jets. The solution has been to turn on the spillover every 4-5 hours to transfer the water back from the pool to the spa. This has to be done as long as the freeze protection is operating.

My thinking is as the value moves from pool to spa and back there is a small amount of water that is transferred from the spa to the pool during that value transition due to the head pressure that builds up from the gravity of the 10 feet below the pool level and since the spa sits above the pool, it is the one that loses out in this exchange. Is this possible even with the check value in operation? Or regardless of the elevation difference between the pool/spa and the pump equipment water should not be leaking out.

One solution I thought about is to manually reposition the value at the actuator so when in pool mode and w/o the spillover feature on, a very small bit of water is allowed to travel from the pool to the spa as if the spillover was activated. This would allow enough water to go back into the spa during that 30 minute pool mode. Then when it goes back to spa mode any water that seeps into the pool during that transition will be replaced during the next pool mode cycle.

If this is possible I'll need some advice to know how to even go about fixing the actuator at the value. Also, will this little bit of water flow cause any issues with the freeze protection of the pipes? Assuming it can be done, once the treat of freezing temps is over in March or April I can reposition the actuator/value back to the original position until next winter.

Thanks for any insight.
Most pool/spa combos, at least in this area, have the return valve set so that some water always goes to the spa when in "pool" mode. The spa port is not closed completely. On a spa that is above the pool that requires a check valve in the spa-return line. The spa will overflow daily with normal filtration.

I would be good to check that the suction valve closes the spa port completely. A good video on how to adjust it is this:

It takes patience to adjust an actuator. The video is for a Jandy actuator, but the procedure is the same for most (Hayward, Pentair/Compool, Intermatic) except the very newest "intelligent" actuators. Take a picture before making changes so you can start over if needed.

If the valves are very old, replacement diverters should be available.

As posted above, yes, you can set actuator to not fully close spa return when in pool mode, causing spa fill and spillway when switched to pool during freeze. Also, some PB's, like my setup, plumb in a make-up, bypass, line and valve at pad. With this, a valve can be turned to set anywhere from no flow (spillway) to full flow (spillway) while in pool mode without having to mess with any actuator settings. Post a pic of your pad plumbing and can tell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.