Oct 3, 2022
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi, pros, I really need some help please.
Moved into our new house a week ago, already can not stress enough about the salt water heated pool/spa.
System we have: pentair automation panel+easytouch control remote/mastertemp 400 heater/intelliflo vs svrs pump+filter/salt chlorine generator.

Issue: After I accidently messed up the valves, the spa has very little water flow on the middle pipe, which I believe it's called spa water fountain.

I did call a few different companies, and went to 2 Leslie's in person to make appt with tech. However, the soonest I can get is either Sat or next Monday, which they said is sooner than summer already, normally it's at least 2 weeks wait.
I did a online deep diving study about the automation panel, so now I have a very good understanding of our pentair easytouch automation.
Now my pool runs perfect. And under pool mode, the heater works perfect too.

However, spa fountain (center pipe in the spa), has very very slow flow under pool mode. If I turn to Spa mode, nothing runs, and pump shows: clear drain before restart, I did clear the drain, but it won't do anything. I tried to prime it, nothing happens. Under spa mode, below pic valve 2 will leak some. Heater shows: system service.
Back story: the previous owner has not turned on the rock waterfall for a long while, after I turned on, a lot lot of debris came out. I did clean the filter before turn on the rock waterfall.
Now: the spa water start to get cloudy, what can I do please before tech comes out and check out everything?
How should I position the valves 4/5/6 please to help the situation?
Shall I clean filter again? Or which pipe I should check to make sure there is not something clog?
I bought O ring kit today, please to change it on valve 2 tomorrow to stop the leak.
Thanks so so much again!!!!

Attachments

• 20221002_144930.jpg
    20221002_144930.jpg
    747.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20221003-044648_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221003-044648_Gallery.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 15

You have a spillover spa. When in the Pool Mode, the spillover is what keeps the spa water fresh.

When in the Spa mode, no fresh water will ever get into your Spa. The basic idea is to use the spa when in the spa mode, and when done, return the system to the Pool mode.

I want you to run this quick test..

1. Turn the handle of #5 so that it points straight down. This will fully open the valve.
2. Put the system in the Pool mode and check the positions of your Intake and Return valves. These are the valve that have the electric actuators on top of them.
3. Put the system in the Spa mode and watch the two valve actuators and confirm that they both turn 180 degrees.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You have an IntelliFlo pump with the SVRS option. This means that your pump will shut off if your neighbor passes a little gas. :mrgreen: Ok, not quite that bad, but any surge in water flow will cause the pump to stop and then it is sometimes very hard to get it to start again. I know this because my pool builder talked me into the same useless pump. Sigh! We will have to find a way to work around it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The pipe to the right of pipe 6 looks very similar to my set up. If it is the same, builders sometimes add that to the spas to constantly supply chlorinated water to the spa while in pool mode(This is really bc some PBs don’t fully understand the uses of the spillway mode). When in spa mode, no water goes to that jet and the check valve prevents water from draining out of it.

It is also the middle jet in my spa and always had low flow unless I turned RPMs up. The low flow causes a small trickle of water over waterfall.

Like Jim mentioned, pentair has a spillway mode, it takes water from pool (skimmers and drain) and supplies it back to spa. Spa drain is off, so the water rises and causes a nice waterfall.

I have spillway mode scheduled twice a day to chlorinate spa and then actually this weekend I took the guts out of that check valve and added the guts of a pentair two way valve and mounted an actuator on it. Now I only have water run through that pipe once a day for 5 mins to prevent algae from growing in it.

Pic for reference (see pipe labeled Spa Return).

Attachments

• 6D206146-461C-4C1C-9649-4EFF722639AE.jpeg
    6D206146-461C-4C1C-9649-4EFF722639AE.jpeg
    318.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

You have a spillover spa. When in the Pool Mode, the spillover is what keeps the spa water fresh.

When in the Spa mode, no fresh water will ever get into your Spa. The basic idea is to use the spa when in the spa mode, and when done, return the system to the Pool mode.

I want you to run this quick test..

1. Turn the handle of #5 so that it points straight down. This will fully open the valve.
2. Put the system in the Pool mode and check the positions of your Intake and Return valves. These are the valve that have the electric actuators on top of them.
3. Put the system in the Spa mode and watch the two valve actuators and confirm that they both turn 180 degrees.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi, Jim.
So I did the test, it automatically turns 180 degree when I switch pool and spa mode.
1/2 turn left is pool, turn right is spa.
I also turned 5 fully straight down.
I did another filter cleaning.
After I cleaned filter again, pool mode still runs perfect. But spa mode was running when I first turn it on, then pump will stop, and show: clear drain before restart, which made me almost wonder if there is clog in spa mode.
I also noticed 2 skimmers I have, one has very strong flow, one has way slower flow.
Another evidence make me wonder spa has some blockage or clog cause when is on spa mode, the heater shows: system service. But the heater works perfect with pool mode.

I just wanted to make sure both valves moved.

It does sound to me like the drain in your spa is not working, and that is why your pump is going into the shut off mode.

It could be because the pipe is clogged, it could be because of a leak and someone plugged it on purpose, or it could be the Intake valve that selects between the pool mode and spa mode is broken inside where you can't see it..

I suggest that you get a Drain King and force water both ways though the pipe.

1. Remove the spa drain cover(s) and make sure they are open
2. Remove the actuator from the Intake valve (4 screws - they need to go back in the same holes) then remove the valve top so you can see inside the valve body. Make sure the diverter is not broken and is still attached to the shaft of the valve.
3. Stick the drain king in the spa drain pipe and turn it on. Water should pour out of the open valve.
4. If there is a clog, you might have to cycle between putting the drain king in the spa drain to push water one way and in the open diverter valve to push water the other way.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It does sound to me like the drain in your spa is not working, and that is why your pump is going into the shut off mode.

It could be because the pipe is clogged, it could be because of a leak and someone plugged it on purpose, or it could be the Intake valve that selects between the pool mode and spa mode is broken inside where you can't see it..

2. Remove the actuator from the Intake valve (4 screws - they need to go back in the same holes) then remove the valve top so you can see inside the valve body. Make sure the diverter is not broken and is still attached to the shaft of the valve.
3. Stick the drain king in the spa drain pipe and turn it on. Water should pour out of the open valve.
4. If there is a clog, you might have to cycle between putting the drain king in the spa drain to push water one way and in the open diverter valve to push water the other way.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi, Jim, not sure if this is allowed.
I see that you are from Bedford, TX. I am from Arlington, TX. And actually I lived in bedford for a long time. Are you a professional for the pool? I would love to hire you to help me out.
I have contacted 4 companies, they all either don't response at all, or disappeared.

Thanks,

Jim R.
And of course, I will do some research this week, and watch some videos, hopefully I can have better knowledge. I ordered drain king already.
One more question, Jim, can you please tell me from the pic, see if the labels are correct? And where shall I start?
Thanks so much again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.