Spa Drains to Pool

lblomq

Bronze Supporter
Nov 8, 2016
Mesa, AZ
I have a spa attached to my pool and it sits a little higher than the pool. For the last few weeks now, after my pool pump shuts off my spa drains to my pool until the water level is the same in both. I have a jandy valve that directs the flow between the main drain and the skimmer or cleaner (see the attached photo), and I have it set to pull water mostly from the skimmer or cleaner, and only slightly from the main drain. I only started setting the valve to this position when I finally figured out the main drain was connected to the spa. When I have the jandy valve turned completely to the skimmer or cleaner, the water level remains constant in the spa, which makes me believe the valve is fine. Is there any way to stop the water from draining without shutting the valve off? I don't want the AZ sun to ruin my spa (although it's FINALLY starting to cool down here). If I leave the valve in the position where the main drain is shut off, then debris accumulates in the bottom of my spa and I have to drain it anyway to clean it. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 1128170749.jpg
    1128170749.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 56
ib,

All pools with raised Spas have a way to prevent the water in the Spa from draining back into the pool.

Most have a check valve in the plumbing somewhere that keeps the water in the spa.

Since it has not drained in the past and is now draining I would have to guess this check valve is no longer working.

Depending on the type of check valve, a fix could be as easy as cleaning it out.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

ib,

They come in different shapes and styles, but generally they are in the middle of a pipe.. some look like a Jandy valve, but without a handle. They all have one input pipe and one output pipe.

If you can post a couple of different picks of your equipment showing all the pipes and valves, maybe someone here can help identify it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Here are the pics. Let me know if you have questions about anything you see. The ball valve with the broken handles has been in that position for a long time.

Attachments

• Pool Pic 1.jpg
    Pool Pic 1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Pool Pic 2.jpg
    Pool Pic 2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 47
Thanks for pointing that out. I never knew what that was and it doesn't look like any check valve I've seen on the web. I opened it up and found no debris, so I moved it back and forth to loosen it up and that seems to have worked. No more draining from the spa to the pool! This is why I love this site. My donation is on the way.

Great!

Could you get a close up picture of the check valve? Would be good to add to our Gallery of Pool Parts. That does not look like any of them in the gallery.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ib,

Once you donate it takes a couple of days and then you can post many more pics..

You can also post them on a free hosting site and then just post the image code here.

I'm glad you got it to work...

Thanks,

Jim R.