Spa draining

AC163994

May 9, 2022
Tampa, FL
We just finished our build and startup. Overnight, when the pumps are off our spa drains. Its not the check valve because thats been replaced. The only night it didn't drain was when we closed the pool main drain valve. Any ideas as to whats going on?

We just finished our build and startup. Overnight, when the pumps are off our spa drains. Its not the check valve because thats been replaced. The only night it didn't drain was when we closed the pool main drain valve. Any ideas as to whats going on?
Upload some pictures of your equipment plumbing and somebody here will be able to give you some ideas.

Post pics of your pool equipment pad and valves.

Show us what you did to close the pool main drain.

It's the red valve labeled pool main drain. When I turned it to the closed position, the water stays up, but when I put it in the open position and the pump isn't on the water goes down.

Attachments

• 20230722_081015.jpg
    20230722_081015.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230722_081002.jpg
    20230722_081002.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230722_080929.jpg
    20230722_080929.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 13
The water is siphoning from your Spa Drain to the Pool Main Drain.

What are the levels of the spa and pool? Show us pics.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldprophet
Use a Jandy check valve
Nope, can't do that on the spa drain or it will never work.

I think the 3way valve for the POOL/SPA suction is not completely closed on the SPA side and allowing water to siphon through it.

Adjust that valve or it may have been damaged during installation and is leaking.

AC,

I agree with Allen, that the only way that shutting off the pool's main drain could effect the spa draining down, would be that your Intake valve is leaking.

That said, we do not see that too often, so it would be worth running a few tests just to make sure.

Since you have no automation system, it would be important to know exactly what positions the valves are in when you shut off the pump.

The most likely cause for the spa to drain down would be the fact that there is no check valve on the Spa-T-Jet line. But.. That would not be the case, if the Jandy valve on that line was always set to 'OFF" when the pump is turned off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Over a 48 hour period the spa will be completely empty. Over night it drains to the level shown in the picture.

That is different!!! If the water drops below the spa return lines, then it has to be something in the floor of your spa.

Either the spa drain or the Spa fountain or whatever that pipe is just this side of the Spa drain.

You can plug them, one at a time, to see which one is leaking.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is different!!! If the water drops below the spa return lines, then it has to be something in the floor of your spa.

Either the spa drain or the Spa fountain or whatever that pipe is just this side of the Spa drain.

You can plug them, one at a time, to see which one is leaking.

Thanks,

Jim R.
The spa return is in the floor with the drain and what is my intake valve?

Attachments

• 20230717_194857.jpg
    20230717_194857.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 19
AC,

In your pics the Spa Return is shut off (or almost shut off) and that line has a check valve.

With the blue Spa Return valve shut off, I assume the spa still drains. :scratch:

If so, and you know for sure that that turning off the pool main drain stops the drain down, then it has to be the Intake valve. You can prove this by putting a plug in the spa drain as a test.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The spa floor has a horizontal floor drain and a round pipe opening in front of it.

What is that round pipe opening for?

I suspect that round pipe opening is the SPA RETURN or a bubbler or fountain tied into the return plumbing and more likely the source of the draining.

20230717_194857-jpg.516152

To plug the spa drain you will need to remove the horizontal grate and you will probably find two pipes that need to be plugged.

AC,

In your pics the Spa Return is shut off (or almost shut off) and that line has a check valve.

With the blue Spa Return valve shut off, I assume the spa still drains. :scratch:

If so, and you know for sure that that turning off the pool main drain stops the drain down, then it has to be the Intake valve. You can prove this by putting a plug in the spa drain as a test.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yes sir. You are correct Jim even with the spa return close it still drains.

The spa floor has a horizontal floor drain and a round pipe opening in front of it.

What is that round pipe opening for?

I suspect that round pipe opening is the SPA RETURN or a bubbler or fountain tied into the return plumbing and more likely the source of the draining.

20230717_194857-jpg.516152
That is the spa return which is plumbed with the check valve by the equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.