Spa Draining when pump off

zlaneb

Apr 8, 2011
Hello All,
First time posting, long time lurking. This forum is full of great information and I'm hoping for a little advice.

Issue: When my pool shuts down at night the spa drains down to the water jets, back into the pool. Also, If I try to use the spa (hot tub mode) the spa drains down too low to use before the water gets warm enough to get it.

Plumbing:
I have 2 Jandy Check Valves and 2 jandy 3 way "Never Lube" 2440 valves.

Action: I've replaced both check valves (new guts) to no avail. Spa still draining down.

Any suggestions on how i can check if the Jandy 3 ways are leaking or something? I'm losing my mind and it is VERY difficult to find a reliable pool tech in Austin, TX these days.

Feedback appreciated!
Thanks
Zlaneb

Z,

Show us a couple of pics of your equipment pad..

Do you know if your Intake and Return valves are actually turning when you go from the pool mode to the Spa mode and then when you go back to the pool mode.

Both of those valves should turn 180 degrees each time you change modes.. It is possible that one of them has quit turning.. Go watch both valves as you, or someone else, selects the pool mode and then the spa mode..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim- Thanks for the quick reply.
Action: Turned pool to "spa" mode - both valves turned 180 degrees. An interesting observation is the spa isn't draining down. BUT - when I used the heater it did drain down (will check his again now).
Here are pics of the equipment pad.
IMG_4389.JPGIMG_4388.JPG

Jim - me either - the water would divert based on the spa settings. Since the spa didn't drain in spa mode, I've switched it back to "Pool" mode. I will shutdown the pool like normal and see if the level of the spa drops overnight.
This has been a problem for 3 months now. I will update this post tomorrow morning.
I appreciate the help!

Well, the spa drained down again last night. Can anyone tell me by looking at my equipment if I can use a process of elimination to determine the issue? For example, could I turn some of the manual valves (blue handled) off when the pool shuts down then check the water level in the morning?

At the bottom of your pic are two check valves.. I assume these are the two check valves that you replaced??

Each check valve is connect to a ball valve.. Turn both ball valves 90 degrees or off.. If the draining stops than at least one of your new check valves is not doing its thing.

Jim R.

The only other possibility is that the Return valve is leaking.. This is the valve that sends the water to the pool or the spa and is automated.. It could be leaking or not fully moving. Make sure it moves where the Spa line is fully closed when in the Pool mode.. I would just rebuild it as rebuild kits are pretty cheap and easy to DIY..

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.