Spa draining. I've checked all of the usual suspects

Back track to when it did not drain down, and think about anything that has changed since then. It is something, but the normal processes are not resolving it. There is something unique about your plumbing that troubleshooting over the internet is not able to determine.

I really appreciate your help.
It drains to pool level in both pool mode and spa mode.
Has anything changed? Not that I can think of.
In my testing last night I noticed that the air blower did not instantly produce air through the jets. I had to cycle the blower on and off many times until it finally started producing consistent air flow. Took about 5-10 minutes. I'm assuming this means there is more water in the lines than it is able to force out. Not sure if that info helps any.

So the pool and spa water levels equate after the spa drains down. If that is true, we are back to the infloor system also being a possibility.

The check valve you have shown in your pictures, that is for the infloor system. Do you have a valve on that line to turn it off completely? Are the infloor the only returns in the pool?

Sorry. Actually it doesn't end up exactly at pool level. It's still above pool level when it stops.
I do not have a valve to shut of the infloor system and it is the only return to the pool.

I removed the jets and used a threaded plug to plug each of the jets. The spa still drains. :(

Looking at the picture above, I have a few things left to try. The in-floor cleaning system and the light. Assuming the drain and return are ok via replaced Jandy valves and check valve.

I used food coloring but found nothing obvious. I removed the light because it's easy to do. I did notice that there is no light cord grommet. I could be wrong, but I thought light cord conduits normally have water.
Light bulb was changed over a year ago and no draining problems til recently.

Last edited:
Update:
I tried the plastic method without any luck.
But then I made some progress! I opened up my Paramount PV3 gear valve dome and plugged the port going to the spa. Voila. It did not drain anymore!
Then I removed the plug just to see what would happen and it still did not drain. This is with the dome off. So I'm a bit stumped by that. Maybe with the dome off it doesn't create the pull to cause it to drain back into pool.
I reassembled it last night so pumps can run today with the assumption that a buried check valve is the culprit. I reassembled around 9:30pm last night at 7:00am this morning it had only drained about an inch.
Did I fix it without fixing it???

Attachments

• img1-wv.jpg
    img1-wv.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.