Spa draining after shutdown

Well, what about swapping the schedules around so that the spillway runs at some point AFTER the spa runs. That way, water refills the spa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done that, and today was the first new cycle. I just hate running thr spillway as it really does impact evaporation and drives pH up. Yes, 15min a day is better than and hour, but I wish I could leave it off unless I wanted it on for a party or something.

When I had this issue it was a leak at the drain inlet at the bottom of the spa. It was repaired with submersible pool plaster patch resin. I haven't had the issue since. The only time the spa is low is after a bunch of people get out and the displaced water hasn't refilled yet. You may want to check into a leak in the return line. It isn't visible at the surface. I thought I had no leaks because nothing was wet until I got a leak detection guy out and he found a few and patched them all up.

If there was a true leak, the spa level would decrease regardless of if it was running or not. It would also leak in both spa mode and pool mode.
In my case, the level holds steady during all times, except when the transition from spa to pool happens.

i just watched spa mode shut down, and there is now a 5min wait before pool mode kicks in.

As an experiment, before spa mode ended I manually closed the valves on the suction side for both skimmers and the pool drain. When spa mode stopped, the level was still about 1" low from full.
Is the suction pulling water through the pump and filter and putting it into the pool via the returns? Or is something else going on?

I have inspected all the valve's internals, and they are fine.

Try this -

- Fill er up
- Run the spa for a few minutes
- Stop the spa but leave the suction valve and return valve on the SPA side, don't let them rotate back to the POOL side
- Let the spa rest for a few minutes

Where's the water level at?

Note - you may need to put the unit is service mode and run all the valves manually

Spa full, was in pool mode.
Selected spa mode, which turned the pump off and the valves started actuating. As soon as valve actuation began, the spa water level dropped about 1/2".

Spa ran for 15min.

Put the valves in manual mode, and shut pump off. Water level in spa did not drop any more.

- - - Updated - - -

With pump off and valve still in spa mode, i allowed the valves go back to pool mode via the acuators. Spa level went down again.
So its definitely occuring when the valves are actuating.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What kind of filter do you have? Is the filter properly sealed, no leaks? Is there a check valve between the pump and the filter?

Sorry, I meant to post again but forgot. It is my limited opinion that I think you should have a check valve between your pump and filter in order to keep the junk in the filter from back flowing into the pump. It would also limit the flow of water when the system is shut off.

IMHO

So you think I have water backflowing from the filter through the pump?
If so, how would that explain the spa level dropping?
If this new check valve is supposed to prevent that, I would think that it needs to be in the location I previously noted w the pink arrow?

I'm thinking with the pump off - the valves rotating, either to spa mode or pool mode, the water level in the raised spa will drop some. The longer the valve transition from full stop to full stop, the more water will drain from spa - at least until it's level with pool water level. Hence Matt's suggestion to run a short spillover cycle to fill spa back up.

It may help to have a check valve in the spa return line. Then no water will backflow thru spa returns.

the automatic valves are totally adjustable and have gates on them that wear. If the gate that closes off the spa during pool cycle is not closing all the way due to a cam that is mis adjusted or due to a worn gate. THat would allow water to be pulled from the spa on the suction side when the pool is running ... If you dont have the overflow running the spa will draw down. if you do have the over flow running you will never notice the change

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.