Spa Booster pump tripping breaker

mchandler

Feb 21, 2022
Los Angeles
I'm looking for an opinion on my Spa booster pump. About 3 months back the motor died. So I replaced it with the exact same motor, only brand new. I installed it myself to the letter of the instructions, even watched videos on it to ensure correct installation. The motor worked perfectly for 3 months until a few days back. Now when I activate the pump the motor makes a buzzing noise for about 5 seconds and then trips the breaker. I've attached a picture and quick video. To me it sounds like this new motor has gone bad or locked up. However being it's only 3 months old, it almost doesn't seem possible.

I paid about $350 for the motor. My questions are, what could be the likely cause of this? Maybe water somehow getting inside and shorting it out? Also, what's the smarter choice- paying another $350 for a new motor or just paying more and replacing the entire pump with a new one?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• Century booster pump.jpg
    Century booster pump.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 3
  • Century pump video.jpg
    Century pump video.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 3
I would first check the capacitor in the motor hump and maybe replace it even if it looks good.

if it still does not start then pull the motor off and check for signs of water leaks into the motor and condition of the pump shaft seal.

But it sounds like a bad capacitor.

I would first check the capacitor in the motor hump and maybe replace it even if it looks good.

if it still does not start then pull the motor off and check for signs of water leaks into the motor and condition of the pump shaft seal.

But it sounds like a bad capacitor
Appreciate it. I will do this, and while I know even new stuff can go bad in a fluke sort of situation, guess it still bothers me that a cap could go bad on something only 3 months old.

Appreciate it. I will do this, and while I know even new stuff can go bad in a fluke sort of situation, guess it still bothers me that a cap could go bad on something only 3 months old.
Well let’s see if we can blame the pump failure on component infant mortality before we blame it on your motor installation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.