Spa and algae

NotThePoolGuy

Gold Supporter
May 4, 2020
Coastal SC
Approx 600 gal fiberglass spa is completely green with algae. I've been reading about how to drain, clean and refill, but I'm so confused now that I don't even want to attempt it.

But I must. So what do I need to have on hand once I've cleaned it? I have chlorine tablets, stabilizer, and 31.45% muriatic acid on hand already for the pool. I've been reading about Dichlor which I'd have to order.

Also what do I need to do to the sand filter to ensure its cleaned during this process?

I'm going to have to order spa cleaner and plumbing cleaner before I can start since I can't find it locally, unless you have suggestions.

When draining it, can I drain it through the existing system, or should I get an external pump?

I do not have a standalone spa -- but I would suggest you get Ahhsome cleaner to use when you drain it. TFTestkits.net carries it.

I suspect an Ahh-Some treatment is on the to-do list. Since you have algae, it's probably best to just drain and change the water first. You may need to run the spa's FC at a SLAM level for a short time after the Ahh-Some treatment just to purge the filter from any residual stuff still in there unless you open i t up and clean it as well. Below is a good page on spa chlorination.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.