Spa air line problems

Myko520

Mar 18, 2019
Oro valley,Az
So I just had my pool finished, I have a San Juan desert springs fiberglass pool/spa combo.
My problem is.....when you go into spa mode water starts overflowing out if the spa air line. I've lowered the water level below the jets and pushed all the water out but when I fill and start again it does the same thing. Anyone have any thoughts on why that is?

Welcome to the forum!

There may be a blockage in the spa jet line somewhere. Remove all the jets and run the pump and see if that clears it. You may need to remove all off the jet nozzles as well if that is the type of jet the spa has.

Do you know what type of jet was used in the spa?

Does the spa use a blower?

Welcome to the forum!

There may be a blockage in the spa jet line somewhere. Remove all the jets and run the pump and see if that clears it. You may need to remove all off the jet nozzles as well if that is the type of jet the spa has.

Do you know what type of jet was used in the spa?

Does the spa use a blower?
The spa does not have a blower, I dropped the water level below the jets and pushed everything out of the line. The jets that are in place are the HAYWARD SP1434PAKB VARI-FLO JET AIR III NOZZLE

Attachments

• hayward_sp1434pakb_jet_air_fitting.jpg
    hayward_sp1434pakb_jet_air_fitting.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 3
Where is the spa airline that is overflowing located? Is it just an uncapped pipe sticking out of the ground?

Are the jet nozzles turned on? (counter clockwise) ( the nozzles are at the end where the water flows out, it has 6 points that you grab with your fingers and turn it in (off-clockwise) or turn it out (on-counter clockwise)
Im pretty sure these jets are controlled this way.

2" pipe is a bit small for an airline without a blower. How many jets are there In the spa?

When the jets are running do all jets appear to have approximately the same flow rate?

When the pump is off, can you see water in the air pipe? They may not have installed a Hartford loop in the air line.

Lack of a Hartford Loop is what I was thinking. That would create an air break above the water level to prevent water from flowing out the air pipe.

What does the Pool Builder say about this problem?

I have those same jets in our integrated spa. If a plug off a couple of them with my hands the water will push out of the air line. But mine works great with a 2" airline, 6 jets. Run the Intelliflo VS at ~3000 rpm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello everyone,
Yes there is a Hartford loop installed and above the water line. I was monitoring the build all the way through, especially the plumbing (I'm a union pipefitter) when the pump is off you can still see water in the airline. Even if you blow it out and return to spa mode if fills right back up. The pool builder is saying it might be missing gaskets in the jets but im leaning on the lines being crossed underground

The Hartfird loop is suppose to prevent the airline from filling with water so it is not working properly. Do you have pictures of the plumbing exposed?

Update. My pb is going to foot the bill and install a spa blower on the airline and is convinced this will solve the problem. Question though, I have a 6.5 hp shop vac blowing in the air line and I do have bubbles blowing out of 2 jets but not the other 2. I closed the 2 jets that do have bubbles and still not getting any air out of the last 2

Let him try. Though making you spend electricity on a blower that will some day fail when you should not need it is not much of a trade.

Update. My pb is going to foot the bill and install a spa blower on the airline and is convinced this will solve the problem. Question though, I have a 6.5 hp shop vac blowing in the air line and I do have bubbles blowing out of 2 jets but not the other 2. I closed the 2 jets that do have bubbles and still not getting any air out of the last 2

He needs to put a check valve on the air line before the blower. The check valve will stop the water backing up the line. When you want air bubbles you turn the blower on.

You don’t have a signature with your pool equipment. How will the blower be controlled when you are in the spa?

He needs to put a check valve on the air line before the blower. The check valve will stop the water backing up the line. When you want air bubbles you turn the blower on.

You don’t have a signature with your pool equipment. How will the blower be controlled when you are in the spa?
He mentioned that he was going to install the check valve as well. The blower will be tied in to the pentair psl4 panel.

Are you running the pump when you use the shop vac on the air line? the pump should be on when you do this.

Have you tried switching out the jets that do have air , with the two jets that don't?

If your getting the results of only two jets getting air with the shop vac, that's probably what the blower will do also, try switching the jets that work, with the jets that don't work, if they work after doing the swap out, then maybe there's an issue with the jets.

All of the jets should work without a blower, when jets are on you will be able to feel suction at the air line if you place your hand over the pipe.

If all jets work, and you cover two of them with your hand, the water will probably back up through the air line, if you remove your hands from the jets then the air line with have suction, this more or less simulates what your problem is now, swap out the jets and see what happens, this is the first thing i would do.

Well the pb installed the blower, all the jets were working fine now but the blower will only stay on for 3 minutes and then gets too hot and shuts off. I'm assuming it's the back pressure. The pb initially installed a 1.5hp blower but it was way too much. Now they tried a 1hp and it's still shutting off and getting to hot.
May I add that my spa airline is about 30' away from the spa

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.