Gold Supporter
Nov 6, 2022
Boynton Beach, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I bought my house last year and the pool system is old and very basic. We had a heat pump installed and the single speed water pump broke immediately (probably a coincidence).

So, I'm going all-in and want to have a fully automated system installed. I do a lot of DIY stuff around the house but I want a professional install for this so I can get it done quickly and correctly. I'm looking for recommendations on installers between West Palm Beach and Boca Raton.

Here's a quick list of notes, wants and questions.

Wants:
  • Above all, I want a company who is competent and isn't going to cut corners and just to the minimum. I want a solid install with good design decisions being made. Yes, if I did research for a month I could probably do it myself, but just don't want to spend my time doing that.
  • Potentially two pumps. One for the spa and one for the pool. For whatever reason, the heat pump seems to have severely limited the strength of the primary pump when fully diverted to the spa. Before the heat pump, the spa jets were almost too much and after they were a dribble. I assume I just need a separate pump if I want strong jets.
  • Fully controllable via an app and scheduling. I don't want to have to train my wife on the exact positions to turn valves for different scenarios. We may also rent out our house when we go on vacations and I want to be able to remotely control everything.
  • Heat pump control
Don't Wants:
  • A SWG. I'd be interested to hear people's opinions on this but my pool just doesn't seem to need it. Even in the middle of summer, my pool is sparkling clean using just one chlorine tablet every 10 days and I'm concerned about the negatives of salt water.
I'm happy to get whatever recommendations or feedback I can get. I've called a couple of local places but so far they've been vague about what they would do and recommended older automation systems like EasyTouch and I'm not convinced they're going to do a great job.

Attachments

• IMG_5716.jpeg
    IMG_5716.jpeg
    590.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The Pentair IntelliCenter is the most versatile for automation but may be an overkill just to go from Pool Mode to Spa Mode and turn on lights. It is in high demand so it may be hard to obtain. Some online retailers have it. If you opt to add a SWCG in the future, then the IntelliCenter would be best now and then add the Pentair SWCG If you decide to go that way.

Pentair has a new IntelliFlo3 Variable Speed pump that would integrate with the automation system and any future SWCG. One VS pump should be suitable. Not sure if your current pump is undersized or just not working properly. You mention it had issues when you added the new Heat Pump.

One idea for service is Pinch A Penny Pool retailer. They are franchise so the owner is key to how well they perform. They are professional services for all the major pool equipment brands. You have your set of wants so just present that to them and you may wish to say you want Pentair equipment to narrow down their options.

You list that Liquid Chlorine is your chlorination method but you indicate you use 1 puck every 10 days. A trichlor puck has chlorine, acid and CYA in it. So overtime your pool will continue to increase in CYA (stabilizer). This will require either to drain your pool to lower your CYA. If CYA rises too high - over a 100 then your requirements for chlorine also increases to maintain the pool properly chlorinated. Are you familiar with the FC/CYA Levels?

You would do better to have a SWCG as it is easy to maintain your proper FC levels and if you rent out the home then that becomes even a better feature to ensure the pool stays properly sanitized.

Thanks for the response, my CYA levels have always been very low. Maybe due to rain + evaporation but I'm not sure. Pinch a Penny told me to use 3 pucks per week which is way overkill for my pool. I wonder what percentage of people in Southeast Florida have a SWCG. I don't see a large benefit other than not having to add tabs but I can also use a tab feeder that holds 20+ tabs.

I suggest you get your own Taylor test kit or TF Testkit and test the water yourself. CYA doesn’t evaporate or go away, it builds up. If your pool is using pucks and your CYA is always low, that can indicate a leak (fresh water is replacing pool water and lowering the CYA with it). Only by testing the pool water yourself can you be confident in the results.

It sounds like something is wrong with the heat pump install. While heat pumps are the most restrictive types of heaters in terms of head loss, your spa should not have gone from “too powerful” to “barely a dribble”. That’s an indication of plumbing issues. Increasing the pumps power is not the fix.

You can certainly do both tasks at once - learn pool water chemistry and design a new system - but I wouldn’t just assume your problems will go away with newer stuff.

I also sincerely suggest you do much more research on what you want. The pool industry is not know for people that want what’s best for you … they want what’s best for their bottom line and they’ll happily lie straight to your face to get you to take what they offer. Salt water chlorine generators are by far the easiest way to chlorinate a pool and do not have any of the chemical and sanitation issues associated with the use of trichlor pucks. You would do yourself a favor to reconsider that option. Anyone that tells you that salt “causes problems” isn’t giving you straight advice, they are trying to scare you into a different decisions and one that likely benefits them, not you.

Reactions: HermanTX
For a new system I would go with either a Pentair IntelliCenter or Hayward OmniPL as they are comparable systems for your needs.

Hayward_Omni_Family_Capabilities.jpg

In a previous posting you mentioned you have Heliocol solar? You should Create Your Signature so we have a full picture of your system.

So I am a pool rookie but my SWG broke a couple months ago after five years and I’ve been doing the chlorine and tabs and man is it a pain compared to the SWG.
I did the math, and given the current price of chlorine it’s practically break even assuming I need a new one every five years. The convenience alone makes it worth it to me.

fwiw I am also in South Florida

Reactions: HermanTX
I suggest you get your own Taylor test kit or TF Testkit and test the water yourself. CYA doesn’t evaporate or go away, it builds up. If your pool is using pucks and your CYA is always low, that can indicate a leak (fresh water is replacing pool water and lowering the CYA with it). Only by testing the pool water yourself can you be confident in the results.

It sounds like something is wrong with the heat pump install. While heat pumps are the most restrictive types of heaters in terms of head loss, your spa should not have gone from “too powerful” to “barely a dribble”. That’s an indication of plumbing issues. Increasing the pumps power is not the fix.

You can certainly do both tasks at once - learn pool water chemistry and design a new system - but I wouldn’t just assume your problems will go away with newer stuff.

I also sincerely suggest you do much more research on what you want. The pool industry is not know for people that want what’s best for you … they want what’s best for their bottom line and they’ll happily lie straight to your face to get you to take what they offer. Salt water chlorine generators are by far the easiest way to chlorinate a pool and do not have any of the chemical and sanitation issues associated with the use of trichlor pucks. You would do yourself a favor to reconsider that option. Anyone that tells you that salt “causes problems” isn’t giving you straight advice, they are trying to scare you into a different decisions and one that likely benefits them, not you.
Do most people in SE FL use SWCGs? We get so much rain that I sometimes need to let the chlorine levels get low and then drain the pool so that the skimmer will function. One of my main concerns with salt water is that I cannot drain it anywhere. I read all the local laws and you literally have to have someone come out and drain your pool to a tanker truck.

Also, it's my understanding that salt water can destroy your concrete and will cause everything around the pool to rust. I have no idea if this is true because I've only been here a year and never had a pool.

I read all the local laws and you literally have to have someone come out and drain your pool to a tanker truck.

Show us the laws. Does the laws or regulations specify a salinity ppm threshold that makes it prohibitive?

It doesn't mention salt but it does mention very low chlorine levels. It's also my understanding that the salt will kill vegetation and potentially affect life in the stormwater pond behind us.

So why do you think having your SWG makes managing and draining your pool any worse?

The Stormwater Pollution Prevention document specifically mentions chlorine, copper and silver and makes no mention of salts.

A SWG will make your pool water easier to manage and less likely to need to be drained. In 20+ years with a SWG pool I have never needed to drain my pool except when I had it replastered.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lots of members here from Fl who happily use SWGs.

Do most people in SE FL use SWCGs? We get so much rain that I sometimes need to let the chlorine levels get low and then drain the pool so that the skimmer will function. One of my main concerns with salt water is that I cannot drain it anywhere. I read all the local laws and you literally have to have someone come out and drain your pool to a tanker truck.

Also, it's my understanding that salt water can destroy your concrete and will cause everything around the pool to rust. I have no idea if this is true because I've only been here a year and never had a pool.
Like I said above it’s so much better. As far as letting water out, I do that all the time and I literally drain It right into my grass and see no damage. Also, I don’t see how that could be any worse than draining a typical chlorine pool. Keep in mind, the salt levels are very low, it’s nothing like sea water… you literally don’t even taste the salt or it doesn’t burn your eyes.

To me, the only real negative is you pay the expense up front rather than weekly or monthly but i honestly think SWG saves money In the long run.
Two other things I’ve learned
1) SWG doesn’t generate CYA so you have to supplement that where if you used a typical floater/liquid chlorine setup you get CYA.
2) SWG can make you complacent because its so maintenance free.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.