South Florida - New In-ground Large Build

Ok, I am getting this now!
As Jim said in a earlier post.........when is enough, enough!!!! the possibilities are endless (well not really, but you know what i mean).
I am the type of person that cant just do enough to get it to work (ie - utilize the board i have and limit myself to the amount of relays it has).....For example - all 3 laminars on one circuit - both bubblers on another - all lights on one, etc. etc.
I think by getting the expansion board, i am able to have individual control of everything - and then create any sequence i want.
For example - Red , white and blue on the laminars for 4th of July
Christmas colors in December
etc. etc
So with that being said..........
Lets plumb and wire this thing!!!!!!!
John_and_Val
I hear what you are saying. I am the same way. It drives my wife nuts at times that I tend to be so "attention-to-detail" oriented. They have other names for what I suffer from but I won't go there. :laughblue:

Okay, this might be fun. I think I have enough info now to at least get you a draft of how I might envision your Pad Plumbing, and Wiring. Once I'm done and get it over to you, then you can begin to make modifications, changes etc and get further input. This might take me a day or two, so please sit tight.
r.
p.s. John, any chance you can label (or explain) each one of these pipes for me (the risers)?
76261-dcdb8a8495c137aefada4b50efb07517.jpg

Last edited:
John_and_Val
Okay, here are a couple of SIMPLE drawings. I based these on your requirement that every feature have it's own valve, so you can equalize the features. Anyway, see if these are how you envision your basic plumbing. Don't beat me up too bad. I'm not an artist and I don't own a CAD program. Drawings are NOT in scale and I just used 90 degree fittings just to put the pieces together.

1. This is your main filter system. I did not place any of the filter, heater, sanitation devices items yet. Just see if this is what you envision regarding plumbing and valves.
Main Intake.jpg

2. This is your Features system. Is this sort of what you envision? The one thing I don't like about this setup, is that if you closed the bubbler manifold and all the Laminar and Fire/Water bowl 2-way's were closed, then something bad would happen... Maybe another member can jump in and see if there is a different way to plumb the Features Returns and still maintain your requirement that each item has it's own valve. :scratch:
Features System.jpg
I have 15 lines (same as in your header photo minus the Sump Line), so I think I got everything (6-Main, 9-Features). Anyway, chew on this and see what you think and it can begin to get refined..
r.

Last edited:
@MyAZPool
Sorry, been spreading road rock and compacting all day!!!!
Got rained out yesterday, but it was a blessing in disguise....Nothing better than a good hard rain to settle the dirt!
I also will attach pics of manifold
20190320_172359.jpg

Attachments

• 20190319_120347.jpg
    20190319_120347.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190320_172328.jpg
    20190320_172328.jpg
    860.6 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: MyAZPool
From left to right:
Good?
Yes, Thanks! That will certainly help quite a bit as we get a bit further down the road and draw out the placement of valves and equipment. Please look over those two drawings that I sent you and tell me what your thoughts are.
Thanks
r.

Reactions: chemillion
I don't know what to say, @MyAZPool !!!!
That drawing looks like something that took a lot of time. I am very grateful for all your help....
in regards to the bubblers? Should there be 2 way valves at them? For throttling purposes? Like the others (lam's, f/b's)
John_and_Val
Thanks and NP. Just happy to see if I can assist with your project.

I don't think I would place 2-way valves on the two (2) bubblers and here is why.
1. That top left 3-way, would equalize the two bubblers between each other. Then,
2. That 3-way below it (just after the pump), would control the amount of water output between water that feeds the bubblers and the rest of the water features.
3. Having every water feature having its own 2-way valve, I think increases the chance that every valve could get closed and you might blow something if the pump was energized and all the valves were inadvertently closed. That can still happen IF: a) The 3-way after the pump was closed to the bubblers and b) ALL of the other water feature 2-ways were closed. That is the one possible drawback to this setup. If you can assure yourself that THAT would never happen, then you would be okay.

If it were me, I would only put actuators (IntelliValves) on the 3-way's ONLY. I would not put actuators on those equalizer or "throttling" 2-ways. I would set them up manually. Then remove the valve handles on those 2-ways once you have them all adjusted properly. Then those (2-ways) are pretty much set. Then, "little hands" could never accidentally close them all.

On Rev2 of the drawings I will "number" or "label all of the valves, so it it easier to "refer" to them.
What other comments (what you like, what you don't like), regarding the drawings?
r.

I agree....no need for actuators on throttle's.......should be set and forget.
I like what you have. Just want to throw out what i talked to the guys at polytec about, in regards to pluming. It is also the engineers version (but modified). Not sure if it is better, worse, or about the same as yours. I am putting it out there just to compare....not to challenge!

I think they serve the same purpose, but go over it and let me know.....

Time to rock and roll on travertine!!!!!20190321_105637.jpg20190321_104226.jpg

@kimkats I think we decided on the waterline / step marker tile...... along with a walnut travertine for decking......
Now, the question is......should we do the pedistals for fire/water bowls in this also and then top it with a 2" thick piece of travertine?
Thoughts and opinions please!!!!!
20190317_145732-2.jpg20190317_145744-2.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are ME the BLING queen if you should use more of my fav BLING tile??? You are so funny!! LOL

Okay now lets talk real life:
What shape will the pedestals be in the end? round or square?
What color are the bowls?
What other stone will you be using? I know the walnut decking (that will be PRETTY!) but is there any other stone being used any where?
What are you putting on the table pedestal?
What are you using as a table top?

Remind me to ask about the mastic and grout after we get done with this set of questions.

Kim:kim:

pedestals will be square -
Bowls will be a sand color (kinda matches the travertine)
Not sure on table pedestal yet (was thinking about wraping it in bling or just use the pool finish).
Not sure on table top either, that is why it ain't there!!!! Thought about A big piece of travertine to match decking......not sure.
These are the bowls in the color "Buff" ..... I think this color is too dark. Sand will be lighter (blends better with the travertine. . Trying to find a picture.
Maybe wrap the poolside of pedestal in bling, and then stone on the other 3 sides? I don't know......
Hopefully everyone can put some input in. I think I am starting to get Owner/Builder building block!!!!!!

prod01.jpg

I like what you have. Just want to throw out what i talked to the guys at polytec about, in regards to pluming. It is also the engineers version (but modified). Not sure if it is better, worse, or about the same as yours. I am putting it out there just to compare....not to challenge!
John_and_Val
Per your request, I will go through it and get back with you. I will orient my drawing with yours and use some of your labeling so it might be easier to compare drawings.
r.

John I am going to ask a couple of other people what they think will look BEST for your pool. I know I SO want more, more, more of that BLING tile but am not sure that will look the best overall. @bdavis466 can you please go to post #230 and see what you think? (now if you say tile the all of all three columns I will be oh so happy LOL)

John_and_Val
Okay, here is an updated drawing (Rev2). It's more in-line with your schematic and also with your plumbing risers. Not sure if I got all of the "North's, Souths, Easts, Wests correct, so please review the labels as well and everything else.

Please chew on this a bit and let me know what you think. I personally would keep the 3-way versus two (2) 2-way's with regards to the bubblers. As I stated earlier, I think it might be a bit safer, but your call. Just let me know, so I can make the changes for you if you want to change that.

I would recommend "Sweep Ell's (schedule 40 of course). Other's might say "you don't need them", but either way, I think they at least look "cooler", if nothing else. Again, personal preference at that point and your decision.

As you get nearer to pad plumbing time, you might check out my thread Re-Plumbing the Pool Equipment Pad. I'm not in no way saying that "mine-is-the-only-way". NOT AT ALL. There are ALWAYS better ideas. But hopefully you might find one or two items there that you will find useful, and that you can incorporate in the make-up. (especially in post #16).

Well, can't think of anything else at the moment...
r.
2019-03-21_18-39-54.jpg

John I am going to ask a couple of other people what they think will look BEST for your pool. I know I SO want more, more, more of that BLING tile but am not sure that will look the best overall. @bdavis466 can you please go to post #230 and see what you think? (now if you say tile the all of all three columns I will be oh so happy LOL)

All tile!

All tile!

:party: That is going to be SO pretty!!!!

John, B knows my love of BLING well BUT he is also a Master Pool Builder with a great sense of style. He has built some awesome looking pools. He would not say all tile if he did not think it would look awesome.

Okay so water bowl pedestals all tile as well as the table pedestal. Just think how pretty that will be under the water! That will tie is all in together!

I love the idea of the matching travs. under the bowls. Again tying everything together.

Now for the table top. A could of ideas:
-poured concrete with color added to match the travs. THEN put an outline of the BLING tile along the edge! To me this would have the best chance of staying in place as the rebar at the top would be embedded in the pour AND it would be pretty!

-Matching piece of travs. BUT how would it be attached to the pedestal?

-what shape for the table top? Square would be best to me as it will match the shape of that area.

Kim:kim: (so GLAD @MyAZPool is taking care of the puzzle of the pipe and valves!!!)

@bdavis466 @MyAZPool have been awesome during my build. They always take time to answer my questions and give input. As have you @kimkats and everyone else on this site. I can not tell you how much I have learned! bdavis and I share the same brotherhood and he and i know what it is like to take pride in your work. His builds show that. That is why i am tackling this huge job myself. I want to be able to finish, look back and say that bdavis loves my pool !!!!!!!!

With that being said..........the wifey is going to be happy! Tile it is!!!! That's just going to open up a whole can of worms when it come to pool finish color!!!!! Kim, you wanted to talk mastic and grout? See if I am on track.....dark mastic - dark grout!

Plumbing Diagram looks great!!! You really have put some thought into this. Thank you.
I don't mind the 3 way at the bubblers, but I am still a little confused on how to "throttle" them with the 3 way? The 3 way at the pump will give me water to the bubblers, but the 3 way at the bubblers will only be able to move water from one bubbler to the other, right? Or am i missing something?
I have a question in regards to the SWG....is there any problem with having the "Chlorinated" Water coming out of the spa jets with direct skin contact? Not sure if the amount is significant. If it might be a problem, should we plumb that on the pool return line only?
Also, If you don't mind - could you plumb in the master temp 400,000 btu propane heater also? Since I have the gas line run already, and the intellicenter is capable of running both the heat pump/chiller and gas heater, I probably am going to order it. This way I think I can use the gas to blast heat the 27,500 gallons and maintain with the heat pump. I think the heat pump will struggle when we hit that freezing south Florida weather!!! LOL

Table top - Definitely Square. And I don't want it to hug the bench. Makes things too tight. I want people to be able to move about in the area. Thought about concrete.....the top of the pedestal is 1" below waterline - so I could drill in steel and bend over, frame it out and pour. But I started thinking - if you have a permanent top - it is going to be right at (or just above) waterline. Lets say my drunk brother (who is 51 years old and 220 lbs) decides to cannonball - or just the fact of kids playing in the pool......causes wave action.....causing any drinks/food on table to get knocked over. Sooooooooo
anyone want to comment on perhaps designing some type of sleeve in the pedestal where perhaps I could have the top extend? Maybe a setting for waterline and another setting like 6" Higher? Of course the top would not be concrete, but maybe a lighter material?

All opinions wanted and appreciated!!!

Mastic -Get some paint cards-white, off white, light gray, darker gray. Bring them home and put a sample of the tile on each on out by the pool. The different colors will really change the look of the tile. Which one does Val like? There is not wrong one on this. They are all pretty in their own way.

-Grout-borrow some of the grout sticks and see what y'all like the best. White will make each tile stand out. Darker will help them blend in with each other. Again no wrong one. Just different tastes. See what Val likes and roll with it.

Lets get @bdavis466 in on the table top. I like what you are saying but have NO idea how to make it happen. It would be extra nice if you could take it out to clean under it as well. Tables + "fun loving" people=trouble :roll: My hubby and his brother WOULD be jumping off of it! It took all I could do to keep them off the roof of the pool house! They wanted to jump from the roof of the two story pool house into our 53" deep above ground pool!!!! NO! JUST ADULT WORD NO!! BOYS!!! LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.