Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
be careful not all ice melters are Calcium based - Most of the Cheaper ones are Salt Based
CA = Calcium NA = Sodium

Example - this stuff is Salt (not Calcium)
Snow Joe AZ-25-EB Melt-2-Go << DO NOT BUY>>

Also, This stuff will increase your salt as well as your Calcium - If you call the company they will tell you that the formula is their secret sauce - rightly so, but then it cannot be used for pools unless you are ok with raising the level of salt in your pool as well. do a test with salt strips to see the difference.
Snow Joe MELT Calcium Chloride Crystals Ice Melter

Which leaves me with - this option - that I haven't tested yet ?
Prestone 9.5-lb Fast Acting Calcium Chloride Ice Melt

any ideas on the Salt vs the Calcium percentages on the Prestone product ?

Which leaves me with - this option - that I haven't tested yet ?
Prestone 9.5-lb Fast Acting Calcium Chloride Ice Melt

any ideas on the Salt vs the Calcium percentages on the Prestone product ?

The Prestone DRIVEWAY HEAT CONCENTRATED ICE MELTER MSDS says:

Component CAS # Amount
Calcium chloride 10043-52-4 > 90.0 - < 92.0%
Water 7732-18-5 > 4.0 - < 6.0%
Potassium chloride 7447-40-7 > 2.0 - < 3.0%
Sodium chloride 7647-14-5 > 1.0 - < 2.0%

My pool devours calcium like it’s an all you can eat buffet. I’ve been buying the Snow Joe in the RED bag for a couple years from Sams Club because no local stores carry ice melt in summer and the Sams price includes having it delivered to my door.

Last year I looked closely at the label and discovered there was a small percentage that wasn’t calcium chloride. But seeing as I wasn’t having any issues with it, I continued.

This year the packaging changed and it now it states on the front that it’s 94%.

Oddly enough, the calcium has stayed where it needs to be, especially the last 2-3 months this year (yet my ph is being difficult).

No sure what the difference is between the green and red bags.

Buyer beware! This product has changed! It is now a mixture of sodium chloride and calcium chloride. Last year's supply was 94% CaCl2 - 2H2O. But now it is not. DO NOT ORDER. They have changed and still advertise as calcium chloride (now "plus enhancers" - that means rock salt).

The red bag appears to still be calcium chloride, though not available. The blue bag is almost no calcium chloride by volume.

Are you seeing the red bag mixed like that as well?

The red bag appears to still be calcium chloride, though not available. The blue bag is almost no calcium chloride by volume.

Are you seeing the red bag mixed like that as well?
I ordered what Walmart had. It says calcium chloride ice melt. It's mostly salt. I've been ordering it for a few years. Walmart or Joe Melt, one or the other changed what they have. I just reordered the same thing I'd been ordering and got surprised. Returning it. They did ship 3 blue bags. In the past it has always been red.

• Sad
Reactions: bmoreswim
I ordered what Walmart had. It says calcium chloride ice melt. It's mostly salt. I've been ordering it for a few years. Walmart or Joe Melt, one or the other changed what they have. I just reordered the same thing I'd been ordering and got surprised. Returning it. They did ship 3 blue bags. In the past it has always been red.

So you have received the red bags and they are no longer 94% calcium chloride?

Any chance you were sent the blue by a warehouse worker who unknowingly thought it was the same thing?

Wondering if the mfg co had a shortage due to pandemic issues.

He received blue bags (and his description sounds like he may have ordered the blue). It's easy to buy the wrong one with their descriptions. Red bags are still the same, just not generally available right now (likely seasonal). They do label the blue as calcium chloride. But it only contains some calcium chloride. It's mostly rock salt, as you can see in the product pictures. While the red bags, which are largely unavailable everywhere, are the correct product and unchanged.

So you have received the red bags and they are no longer 94% calcium chloride?

Any chance you were sent the blue by a warehouse worker who unknowingly thought it was the same thing?

Wondering if the mfg co had a shortage due to pandemic issues.
Red bags were not on Walmart's site to order. I thought they had changed the product. It says calcium chloride ice melt. It's sodium chloride ice melt with a sprinkle of calcium chloride.

He received blue bags (and his description sounds like he may have ordered the blue). It's easy to buy the wrong one with their descriptions. Red bags are still the same, just not generally available right now (likely seasonal). They do label the blue as calcium chloride. But it only contains some calcium chloride. It's mostly rock salt, as you can see in the product pictures. While the red bags, which are largely unavailable everywhere, are the correct product and unchanged.

I’ve been ordering the red bags from Sam’s for the past 3 years. Time of year never mattered - they were always in stock.

They currently are showing as OOS.

I’ve emailed Snow Joe and asked if they are going to continue making it and if they have any suggestions on where to purchase. Will update if I hear back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Agree on not normally being out of stock but these still aren’t normal times. I’m sure it will be back.

Reactions: SacDave

Attachments

• F4ED05E2-2230-4565-92D5-4E31176EC7F5.jpeg
    F4ED05E2-2230-4565-92D5-4E31176EC7F5.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 30
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.