SOS spa blower algae

We need more information in your signature listing ALL of your equipment. Like filter?

You have two pumps.

Looks like one pump is dedicated to your spa jets.

Which pumps operation gets the gunk out?

You have two pumps.

Looks like one pump is dedicated to your spa jets.

Which pumps operation gets the gunk out?
We have a single speed pump just for our water features. Our other VS pump runs both - in pool mode the spa has one return that consistently circulates water from the pool causing a spillover. When put in spa mode, the valve switches and it goes spa-filter-heater-only . We use the spa mode anywhere between 0-5x per week. This problem started last year. It was lighter in color - and just when we think it is gone, its back. Today was the worst it has been. It immediately shot out of the spa returns when I turned on the blowers. We do not see it unless the blowers are on in spa mode. I did a slam level on the spa only recently with bubblers on for hours and really thought this was gone. Today, flipped in in that mode to check and bam!

With your setup I don’t know what Ahhsome will do to your cartridge filter and no way to bypass your filter. Ahhsome will likely get into your pool. And if this gunk is in your spa airline no water is going to circulate through it.

You can run your spa blower while in POOL mode so no water is coming out of the spa jets.

See if the gunk comes out of the spa jets with only the spa blower on.

Or does it require the water flow in SPA mode with the blowers to blow out the gunk.

And confirm you never get the gunk out while in SPA mode if you don’t run the blower.

Hi PearlandPoolfa: The images of the eliminated specks does resemble biofilm detritus. Your blower is connected to an air channel that probably has biofilm clinging to the surface of the pvc piping. Where there is moisture and a warm environment there is biofilm. Providing you have sufficient sanitizer in the pool/spa combo these specks, if bacteria laden, will be neutralized. The specks you see are called released planktonic biofilm. Chlorine is very effective when it comes in contact with them. However, chlorine cannot and does not penetrate the actual biofilm colony where these little planktonic specks broke free. Swimming pool piping has biofilms adhering to the inside surface. If you want to chemically brush these patches clean you can use the Ahh-Some Swimming Pool Water Clarifier & Bio-Cleaner. These are 6 ounce containers of our proprietary gel that is introduced via the skimmer. One container treats up to 20,000 gallons for 30 days. Typically, it takes a few months for the Ahh-Some to really make headway. You will notice clearer water, less pH fluctuation, a decreased sanitizer demand after the initial easy to displace biofilms are removed and other benefits. If you have a Sand Filter, you will see the results during the first backwash cycle after it’s introduction. Also, salt water cell plates are cleaner with less calcification build-up. Vinyl liner pools will have the dirt and oils on the tile borders wiped clean and look newer. Grout and plaster stains will decrease since the gunk sticking to it is purged. Many benefits. Plus, that air channel that the blower is attached to will be treated and remove the slime layer that is causing yiur issue. This does not happen overnight like we do in hot tubs or swim spas. Pools/spa combos are very different. I could go on and on about what the product will do but I think you get the picture. Do NOT use our hot tub formula in the pool. It would be drastically more expensive and the foaming would be over the top.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can run your spa blower while in POOL mode so no water is coming out of the spa jets.

See if the gunk comes out of the spa jets with only the spa blower on.

Or does it require the water flow in SPA mode with the blowers to blow out the gunk.

And confirm you never get the gunk out while in SPA mode if you don’t run the blower.
Thank you!

I will try to use blower in pool mode in the daylight tomorrow. I did not know that was an option.
I do not see any of this gunk in spa mode without blower on.
Hi PearlandPoolfa: The images of the eliminated specks does resemble biofilm detritus. Your blower is connected to an air channel that probably has biofilm clinging to the surface of the pvc piping. Where there is moisture and a warm environment there is biofilm. Providing you have sufficient sanitizer in the pool/spa combo these specks, if bacteria laden, will be neutralized. The specks you see are called released planktonic biofilm. Chlorine is very effective when it comes in contact with them. However, chlorine cannot and does not penetrate the actual biofilm colony where these little planktonic specks broke free. Swimming pool piping has biofilms adhering to the inside surface. If you want to chemically brush these patches clean you can use the Ahh-Some Swimming Pool Water Clarifier & Bio-Cleaner. These are 6 ounce containers of our proprietary gel that is introduced via the skimmer. One container treats up to 20,000 gallons for 30 days. Typically, it takes a few months for the Ahh-Some to really make headway. You will notice clearer water, less pH fluctuation, a decreased sanitizer demand after the initial easy to displace biofilms are removed and other benefits. If you have a Sand Filter, you will see the results during the first backwash cycle after it’s introduction. Also, salt water cell plates are cleaner with less calcification build-up. Vinyl liner pools will have the dirt and oils on the tile borders wiped clean and look newer. Grout and plaster stains will decrease since the gunk sticking to it is purged. Many benefits. Plus, that air channel that the blower is attached to will be treated and remove the slime layer that is causing yiur issue. This does not happen overnight like we do in hot tubs or swim spas. Pools/spa combos are very different. I could go on and on about what the product will do but I think you get the picture. Do NOT use our hot tub formula in the pool. It would be drastically more expensive and the foaming would be over the top.
I am very appreciate of your detailed reply. I ordered the product and will look forward to using it! I understand it will take some time in the blower but it should reach that somehow even if water with the product doesn’t flow through that area? Thanks!!

Yes, our experience with “air-channel jetted bathtubs” has shown that eventually the product will make contact with those hard to reach surfaces. It will not clean it overnight, but you will see a difference after weeks of use.

Yes, our experience with “air-channel jetted bathtubs” has shown that eventually the product will make contact with those hard to reach surfaces. It will not clean it overnight, but you will see a difference after weeks of use.
Ok. I’m really hopeful. It comes out in large quantities when the blower runs the bubbles into the spa while the pool is on pool mode. It there a way to introduce some of it into the blower plumbing more directly ? We also notice it comes out of one specific return when the bubbles run

This is a pool with a separate spillover spa correct? If you are using our Pool Formula Ahh-Some, just add the correct amount to the spa side first. You can mix the gel in a 5 gallon bucket with water, let it dissolve, and pour it into the spa only. Run the filter and open all air intake controls if available. Run the blower intermittently for a few minutes at a time. Let the water from the spa spill into the pool. Just use the pool and spa normally. Run the blower on occasion and see what is expelled. Just let the chemical do it’s job. As I said previously, if I am thinking of the right TFP poster, this may take a month or so to really see results. We have many thousands of pool owners who have been using our product religiously over the last 10-15 years. We have had pool owners waiting in the pool store parking lots waiting for the Fedex truck to deliver our products to the retailer. Sounds crazy but this is true. Once you see what this makes your water feel and look like, you will be a customer for life.

Last edited:
This is a pool with a separate spillover spa correct? If you are using our Pool Formula Ahh-Some, just add the correct amount to the spa side first. You can mix the gel in a 5 gallon bucket with water, let it dissolve, and pour it into the spa only. Run the filter and open all air intake controls if available. Run the blower intermittently for a few minutes at a time. Let the water from the spa spill into the pool. Just use the pool and spa normally. Run the blower on occasion and see what is expelled. Just let the chemical do it’s job. As I said previously, if I am thinking of the right TFP poster, this may take a month or so to really see results. We have many thousands of pool owners who have been using our product religiously over the last 10-15 years. We have had pool owners waiting in the pool store parking lots waiting for the Fedex truck to deliver our products to the retailer. Sounds crazy nut this is true. Once you see what this makes your water feel and look like, you will be a customer for life.
Thank you! We do not have air intake valves but can mix in bucket and put in spa no problem. It arrives tomorrow. Should I put it in spa mode so it circulates through the spa plumbing with the problem? Our pool is 14,500 gal so will be mixing for that amount; diluting in bucket and placing all into the pool correct? I sure appreciate the help!

This looks to me an awful lot like the debris found when running neglected jetted tub. The tubs you'll find in an interior bathroom.

It's a thin, opaque film. Much like those listerine tongue strips, for lack of a better example.

Does that sound like what your seeing, OP?

That junk is mold/mildew, which would still jibe with AJs assertion that it environmentally can't be, nor does it look like, algae.

Edit* sorry, OP. I did it again - posted a reply without seeing there was a 2nd page. I concure with everything Ahhsome has said.

Last edited:
Yes, pour the dissolved 6 ounces of the Ahh-Some into the spa. It will also circulate throughout the entire plumbing and filtration system. Let’s get it in so we can get the nasties out. Run the blower occasionally the first few days.
Your product is amazing! It indeed resembled the junk that gets in neglected jetted tub or that comes out of our clothes washer when we use the cleaning tabs. I used the product you suggested as recommended and the gunk spitting out our blowers steadily decreased to almost nothing! I am going to run the blowers on a more regular basis as was also mentioned but wanted to come back and that you all for your help and for @Ahhsomeguy for the product rec and knowledge. Besides running blowers on a regular basis, do I need to add the product on a regular interval?

Thanks!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.