Sorry...another bubbles question

Alwayshad1

Oct 11, 2020
North central Florida
Just had a new Pentair VS 2.7 hp pump installed. Started noticing small air bubbles from return jets closest to pool pump, not a whole lot but enough to bother me. Had installer come back out, re-lubed lid o ring, pump drain o ring, opened, inspected union to pump, poured water over every connection to pump, etc, etc. Skimmer level good, weir door good, only couple small bubbles visible in pump housing cover. I then replaced and lubed new o rings in the two older Pentair valves which provide suction to the pump. Lot less bubbles now but I notice when I turn the handles, the bubbles will increase or decrease. Right now it is set to full open from skimmer and main drain and one or two small bubbles will come out of return nearest to pump every five seconds or so. Should I be ok with that? Pump running low speed 1800rpm 8-10 am and 4-6 pm and high speed 2400rpm 10-4 pm. Suction lines from ground up to valve are 1 1/2” and then go to 2” or so to pump. Is it possible the diverter handle or top cover has become weak or compromised and should be replaced as it it probably several years old. Not a SWG pool. Thx in advance for any suggestions.

Attachments

• 1E0348B7-F20B-436A-B3E4-AD12C703B130.jpeg
    1E0348B7-F20B-436A-B3E4-AD12C703B130.jpeg
    506.6 KB · Views: 20
It does sound as though one of those valves may be letting a tiny amount of air in. Since you already replaced the O-rings, not sure if there are any other seals on your specific valves that could be lubed or replaced. But as long as you aren't losing prime to the pump, a few bubbles shouldn't hurt anything. The OCD in me gets me fired up about things like that as well. :crazy:

It does sound as though one of those valves may be letting a tiny amount of air in. Since you already replaced the O-rings, not sure if there are any other seals on your specific valves that could be lubed or replaced. But as long as you aren't losing prime to the pump, a few bubbles shouldn't hurt anything. The OCD in me gets me fired up about things like that as well. :crazy:
Yep! Wife says “don’t worry about it”, but yeah it bugs the Crud out of me too!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Shad,

I'm pretty sure the bubbles are from dying water molecules that can't find their way out of your pad plumbing.

You might need to put up so little road signs to help them find the exit... :mrgreen:

Jim R.

All that other plumbing was put in as part of a pool remodel job...all on the return side as far as pool goes. The spa is on a separate pump/filter but we had it set up so we could either heat pool or spa. Just came home for lunch and at higher rpm there is more than just a couple coming out...not a whole lot but little spurts of a few bubbles every so often.

It reminds me of that ancient windows screen saver called "pipes". It would be fun if you got yourself a few different colour paint tins and finished it off.

But seriously, do a forum search, many people experience bubbles in their vsp at low speeds. I do. That might be worth investigating too.

Good luck!

Sorry, I missed this. Sound unlikely to be a low speed induced bubble.
Thanks. I just got done putting electrical tape around all the joints that were installed with this new pump to eliminate anything there. If bubbles still there tomorrow I guess I will order a new paddle and valve cover lid for the pentair valve and replace them on the chance there is a small leak or crack there. Other than that all I can do is throw my hands up in the air and say you know what!

I've got the same issue you do with smaller ish bubbles. My VS pump will drain the basket down about halfway at low speeds. I for sure have a small leak because if it is raining, I can get all the air out of the lines. I have not tried the cling wrap or shaving cream tricks yet. I can hear the bubbles in the piping and blowing through my venturi skimmers. Drives me crazy. I have re-lubed all my valves and made sure the o-rings were all good. So I definitely understand your frustrations!

--Jeff

Reactions: generessler
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.