Sophie's Choice on leaking pump before pool party ;(

Swampwoman

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I'm just whining, but welcome suggestions.

I had my pump motor changed to variable speed last month. Last weekend, there was a small puddle of water when it was on overdrive, but then after carefully watching it all week, nothing.

We had cleaned our salt cell and zinc anode last Sat. I'd worried that priming from total drain down of the plumbing (which is inside a pool house) had taken longer that I liked. So at first I was worried that something happened during the long prime efforts that either cracked the impeller or bent the shaft. But then it stopped.

So after a week of no dripping at all, I'm suddenly getting a puddle under pump housing when its in heat mode (2800 rpm ish).

I have 72 people coming for a pool party, swg, and need the heat. I have a band coming early for a sound check, and I'm preparing the food myself. I absolutely do not have time to fool with a pool tech.

I think I can manage the leak/puddle to get through the party. But am I killing the bearings if its a shaft leak?

What would you do?

I will drop the rpms as much as possible but just don't feel I can take the pool down under extraordinary circumstance and risk unintended consequences.

It sounds like you've already made the decision. You'll have to limp it through the event (hopefully!) and deal with the consequences later. If you're lucky, it's a faulty housing seal gasket. Are you noticing abnormal pump sounds compared to before the leak began?

Unless the water is shooting out of the shaft seal into the motor the bearings should be fine for the duration of your party. They put a piece called a slinger on the shaft between the seal and the motor bearing to stop small leaks from traveling down the shaft into the bearing and motor. Enjoy your party and deal with the leak as soon as you can after the event.

Thanks, guys.
JV, the new motor is so quiet its hard to tell, but I feel like there's a bit more vibration than originally. But I could be chasing ghosts on that one ;) Hubby sez motor sounds fine but I'm the one more attuned to the pool and I do feel there's a slight difference in sound.

I'm also debating whether to get original tech back out or use someone different. I didn't feel uber confident in the installer and the guy I like from that co. was off.

I have a different co coming tues to work out a small wrinkle in my liner...he's an old pro and original sub and I'm a bit tempted to ask him to take a look instead.

Even though the go kit is brand new I have a backup kit coming to have on hand.

So, the darned thing stopped leaking completely again.

Ran it on overdrive ALL NIGHT during pool party. One of the guests used to install pools and offered to take a look.

It would not leak ;) Talk about talking dog syndrome.

Now I'm puzzled...still dry.

It's this mechanical age we live in! I have door locks on my car that work when they want, and the blower motor on the a/c that decides to power up and blow harder/softer whenever it wants. Both have been replaced and still do it! Whenever I take it to the shop the door locks work and the a/c blows fine. Every. Stinking. Time!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.