Something bad is happening to my pool . . .

lovingHDTV

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2007
Round Rock, TX
A couple years ago I noticed a stain in my pool. I tried the typical things to remove it, brushing, chlorine, etc. I finally decided that a piece of asphalt shingle had blown into the pool and had dissolved while I was away and it was stained with tar and moved on.

Since then it has gotten worse and now I know it is not a stain, but something more dreadful is happening. The dark area is now an area that ~1/4 inch deep pitted area. When I brush it clouds of what look like rust are removed. I've looked at it closely underwater and it is just a really dark pitted mess.

This year I got a second one a couple feet away from the original one. I'm now wondering if somehow the water has penetrated the concrete and is rusting out the rebar, causing the area to flake away and become pitted? I really don't know and am hoping that someone here may have a better idea. I've attached a picture to help.

thanks,
david

Attachments

• pool pitting (Large).jpg
    pool pitting (Large).jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 361
I had a few spots similar, although not as bad, where the rebar had become exposed to water.

If you get a new plaster job, they should grind the rebar back and cover it with the new plaster and it should not become a problem again.

Well the short of it is: remove the old plaster and put on the new plaster ;)

Different companies seem to do things differently. For mine, all the old was jack-hammered out down to the gunite, ground down any rebar, and then installed the new finish. I would not want new plaster installed on top of old.

Yes, Rebar bleed.
Shotcrete/Gunite is not water proof. The plaster is the waterproofing.
Yours has eroded away to where it is allowing water to soak into the shell, thus causing the rebar to rust.
Time to Re-plaster.

If we just spent the money for Stainless steel rebar, this wouldn't happen:)

OK I've had two companies come out and take a look. They confirm it is either rebar or rebar ties that are rusting.

One recommends cutting into gunite, epoxy coating the rebar, plaster.

The other recommends cutting into gunite, cut out rebar, fill with hydrolic cement, plaster.

Both seem fine to me, just a little different bids ~$1500 for repair.

Both recommend replaster since the plaster is 15 years old, the cost for replaster an repair is ~$6000.

Comments?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.