Some-what novice Tech. Multiport question

Newfrequentflyer93

In The Industry
Apr 22, 2024
South Carolina
Hey guys!
I am new to the forum and this is my first post! I am a somewhat new tech for a resort. I can do standard maintenance; repair motors, re-plump most things, repair valves etc. I am having a problem with a multiport leaking through backwash/waste valve. I have repaired gasket, new multiport, and kept filter pressure where needed. I have made sure new spider gasket is in place, lubed, and multiport seated on gasket correctly. This is the set up I am working with. I have done many of these repairs all around the resort and never ran into any issues. Any suggestions is very appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpeg
    IMG_0089.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0090.jpeg
    IMG_0090.jpeg
    386 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0091.jpeg
    IMG_0091.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 10
Welcome to TFP.

If you cannot get the spider gasket and multiport valve to seal properly then replace the entire MPV.

I replaced the gasket and multiport already. Do I need to replace the entire assembly that connects to the filter? Is there anything else I can try before doing that?

Did you open up the MPV and check that the spider gasket you installed did not fold over or get a kink in it?

Let's see if @1poolman1 has ideas.

I replaced the gasket and multiport already. Do I need to replace the entire assembly that connects to the filter? Is there anything else I can try before doing that?
What part of the "multiport" was replaced? Only the top half it looks like based on the part number. Are there any chips in the slot the gasket sits in? How did you make sure the gasket stays in place?
It is best practice to only rotate the handle in one direction when switching ports either always clockwise or counter-clockwise. Going back and forth tends to pull the gasket out of position and can cause that issue.
You can get that entire valve for about $220.00 at Inyo pools. That top half probably cost near that much. Use a couple of unions and it is an easy replacement that you know will solve the issue.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Did you open up the MPV and check that the spider gasket you installed did not fold over or get a kink in it?

Let's see if @1poolman1 has ideas.
Put another MPV top do make sure the new one didn’t fail, which is very unlikely. Also, put another new spider gasket on, just in case as well. When top is taken off the gasket is still in the grooves all around. I’m guessing just change the whole assembly is my best bet.

What part of the "multiport" was replaced? Only the top half it looks like based on the part number. Are there any chips in the slot the gasket sits in? How did you make sure the gasket stays in place?
It is best practice to only rotate the handle in one direction when switching ports either always clockwise or counter-clockwise. Going back and forth tends to pull the gasket out of position and can cause that issue.
You can get that entire valve for about $220.00 at Inyo pools. That top half probably cost near that much. Use a couple of unions and it is an easy replacement that you know will solve the issue.
Very true. Question though, once MPV is unscrewed from filter will I lose sand or just the water in sand. Is there any other steps involved when replacing the MPV assembly or is just replumbing the new one in is the only thing I need to do?
Thanks for all the replies guys!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Usually because that line leaked and it is a quick way to stop the water loss. I see it a couple of times a year.
I work for a resort and when I came on board that’s what they have installed on all their systems. All the other MPVs I’ve swapped I can leave the valve open obviously lol but this one has been a pain. Guess I’ll replace whole assy. Also, I know how to plumb stuff in but I get nervous because if I make a mistake it’s bad news because it’s commercial. Can I send a photo and you give me reassurance where to cut lol