some help with numbers

chief_rocker

Jul 22, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Previous BBBer but it's been a while since I have done the BBB method. About two years ago I converted to trichlor pucks because I would be away on weekends and had no one to manage the pool. I thought it might be easier, especially since I winterize the above-ground pool and swap out at least a 1/3 of the water each winter to spring. I became the basic pool person, even ended up using some strips, deep down I knew better. You know where this is going to go. About two weeks ago the kids started complaining about their skin hurting when swimming and I could feel the water was off. I grabbed a test kit K-2006 that has 2-year-old chemicals in it and did some tests. I had no PH, AK was un-testable due to the PH bottoming out, FC was decent, CYA was very high. I've ordered a new kit, added in a ton of washing soda to get the PH back up a bit, and switched back to liquid chlorine. Unfortunately, the concentration listed on the bottle must not be accurate because my FC numbers are out of control and with the high CYA it is taking a long time to come down. Until my new test kit come in here are the numbers I have from my older one:
FC=33
CC=0
PH=7
TA=un testable due to high chlorine
CYA= over 100 (my tester only goes to 100)

Would it be best to just dump half the water now and start again, or wait until the new kit comes in and proceed at that point? Are the 2+ year old reagents be that bad? Being in Canada, getting test kits is hard, I have ordered a K-2006 kit (not C) and it should be here in about 2 weeks.
Thanks in advance!

Since your CYA is high and you are waiting for more reagents, I would go ahead and exchange some water. It should help with several things and help get better prepared for a SLAM Process as needed to remove algae/cloudy water. The R-0013 CYA reagent is one of the more stable products, so it's fair to say if you recorded over 100, it's high and water needs to be exchanged.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.