Some algae problem

Welcome to TFP ANash. You have great advice here. If you follow TFP and listen to these guys you will be on your way. I too was new to pool ownership and I was well and truly 'Pool Stored'- that is, screwed by them. Anyway, now I follow TFP and it's easy. I test regularly and feel in control. Time better spent enjoying the pool. Pity I'm heading into winter now, you guys have summer to look forward to. Enjoy!

Check out my recent thread for inspiration:

Reactions: Newdude
Hey all,

I got my TF-100 and did the testing.

The results are below
Ph 8.2
Chlorine drop test -24/25 drops (about 12 ppm
CC - 0
CH - 28 drops (28*25= 700ppm)
TA -13 drops (130)
CYA - Between 50-60 ( I think. This was hard test)

I will add muriatic acid to bring down the ph.

What would be recommended after that?

Thanks,
Avi

I thought so too. I wonder why I continue to have algae forming?

I will do the tap water testing and upload it as well.
I didn't see where you had reported algae. You need to slam that will clear it up. Read up on the slam material and watch the video. Ask any questions you may have. Just remember Slams are usually short if done exactly according to the instructions. I have seen them drag on for weeks because people are afraid to get the chlorine level up to the correct reading so they kind of baby it at first.

Chris

Duh, it was in your original title. Sorry I missed that. Normal levels of chlorine will not kill an active algae bloom. It takes slam levels for that. Please note that the term we use is slam. It is quite different from a shock that you may hear about at the pool store. Major difference is slam works shock does not.

Chris

Reactions: Mdragger88
Duh, it was in your original title. Sorry I missed that. Normal levels of chlorine will not kill an active algae bloom. It takes slam levels for that. Please note that the term we use is slam. It is quite different from a shock that you may hear about at the pool store. Major difference is slam works shock does not.

Chris
Thanks Chris.

Got it. I will perform SLAM.

I got the ph down to 7.2

Should I calculate chlorine for CYA 60, just to be over than under?

Pool math suggests, I add 460oz of 10% bleach, to bring chlorine up to 24ppm from 12ppm, for slam.

Any other suggestions/recommendations?

Avi

Thanks Chris.

Got it. I will perform SLAM.

I got the ph down to 7.2

Should I calculate chlorine for CYA 60, just to be over than under?

Pool math suggests, I add 460oz of 10% bleach, to bring chlorine up to 24ppm from 12ppm, for slam.

Any other suggestions/recommendations?

Avi
Yes - use 60 . Always round up to the next 10. Above 50 = 60.
SLAM Process on !
Remember, it takes multiple additions per day until u pass ALL 3 end of slam criteria.
its not a 1 & done thing.
There is no finite time frame for slamming but the more often you test fc & replenish slam level the faster it will go.
Every hour your fc is below slam level for your cya algea wins.
Check & scrub all your nooks & crannies
(light niches, run water features, check ladders, skimmer throats/weirs, drains etc.)

Yes - use 60 . Always round up to the next 10. Above 50 = 60.
SLAM Process on !
Remember, it takes multiple additions per day until u pass ALL 3 end of slam criteria.
its not a 1 & done thing.
There is no finite time frame for slamming but the more often you test fc & replenish slam level the faster it will go.
Every hour your fc is below slam level for your cya algea wins.
Check & scrub all your nooks & crannies
(light niches, run water features, check ladders, skimmer throats/weirs, drains etc.)
Thanks Mdragger88.

Nash,

Be meticulous. Run your pump 24/7 also. Check free chlorine and top off to slam level 3 times per in the first few days at least. You can do more frequently but it has diminished thing benefit. Don't stop until you meet all of the slam criteria. Please also add your signature.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nash,

Be meticulous. Run your pump 24/7 also. Check free chlorine and top off to slam level 3 times per in the first few days at least. You can do more frequently but it has diminished thing benefit. Don't stop until you meet all of the slam criteria. Please also add your signature.

Chris
Hi Chris,

I am all set to start the slam process today. I will run the pump 24/7, and top off to slam levels few times today. However on weekdays, I will be able to do it only twice (before and after work). Will that be an issue?

The usual schedule setup with the pentair easy touch is as follows:
pool - 10 hours
Spillway - 1 hour in the morning, and 20 minutes in the evening
Waterfall - 10 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening.

My logical thinking with the schedule is, filtered water should run through the spa to keep it in the circulation.

Is this schedule adequate for maintenance, or should it be tweaked?

I thought the info under our username (pool size, surface etc) is the signature, which I did add. I will look through it again to understand what I might be doing incorrect.

Thanks
Avi

However on weekdays, I will be able to do it only twice (before and after work). Will that be an issue?
Do 2 hours each test today. You will get longer time between adds tomorrow if you are extra vigilant today. It is what it is with life getting in the way. If you are in target range or above, it won't get any worse. It just takes longer the more time you spend below SLAM.
I thought the info under our username (pool size, surface etc) is the signature, which I did add. I will look through it again to understand what I might be doing incorrect
There are two spots to add details.This one has room for model #s and features. Please go buck wild. Then whatever question you have, we know your test kit, pump model, wind direction, shoe size..... it all matters eventually :)

Yes 👍🏻
Starting slam on the weekend (off time) is always recommended.
So u can Hit it hard at the beginning- as that’s when the demand is highest. Then when the work week comes you can get 2 or possibly 3 doses a day in. 1 before work, 1 as soon as u get home then 1 before bed. In the latter part of a slam the fc holds more & more - not such quick drops.

Reactions: Newdude
Do 2 hours each test today. You will get longer time between adds tomorrow if you are extra vigilant today. It is what it is with life getting in the way. If you are in target range or above, it won't get any worse. It just takes longer the more time you spend below SLAM.

There are two spots to add details.This one has room for model #s and features. Please go buck wild. Then whatever question you have, we know your test kit, pump model, wind direction, shoe size..... it all matters eventually :)
Thanks Mdragger88. I will be all over it today. I will add more details as suggested.

Should I have the spillway on constantly as well, so the water in the spa does not get neglected?

Or is the spa done separately?

Avi

Brushing the pool walls and floor is a must! If your algae has built up a biofilm over it, that biofilm acts as almost as an impermeable cover. Brushing disrupts that biofilm and lets the chlorine in to slay the green nasties.

Monitor your CSI with that calcium and let it help guide you in keeping things in check so that you don't experience scale. Often keeping the pH on the low side is what folks out west do to handle that.

Maddie 🇺🇦

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.