(SOLVED) Just added CYA - Can I slam without backwashing?

MikeDub

Feb 22, 2021
Murrieta, CA
Pool Size
So I just added CYA (stabilizer in a sock) 2 days ago. Somehow I managed to get algae since then and need to SLAM. Problem is is that backwashing is not recommended in the week following adding CYA. So my options are:
1) Maintain FC in band until after a week then SLAM as normal
2) SLAM without backwashing
3) SLAM as normal now with backwashing

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I used stabilizer in a sock
If it's dissolved out of the sock you can backwash. At that point it's in the water.

The way people are traditionally told to add granular CYA is to put it in the skimmer and let it dissolve in your filter over time. That's why the instructions usually say not to backwash - if you did, the undissolved particles in the filter would be ejected with the backwash. (You shouldn't add this way anyhow as it can lead to clogged skimmer suction pipes.)

Reactions: Texas Splash
If it's dissolved out of the sock you can backwash. At that point it's in the water.

The way people are traditionally told to add granular CYA is to put it in the skimmer and let it dissolve in your filter over time. That's why the instructions usually say not to backwash - if you did, the undissolved particles in the filter would be ejected with the backwash. (You shouldn't add this way anyhow as it can lead to clogged skimmer suction pipes.)
Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.