Solar problems

Reed Kadavy

Silver Supporter
Nov 22, 2015
Gilbert AZ
I have solar heating for my pool. When the roof temperature reaches a set level the actuator valve controlling the solar system rotates and the solar turns on. The term "solar" then appears on my EasyTouch remote. At the same time the speed of my Intelliflo pump increases to the speed that I have set for solar operation. This is the way the system worked until a couple of days ago. Now when the solar system goes on the pump speed does not increase. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Some how your pump rate setting for the Solar function was changed. I assume you do not have ScreenLogic so you need to go to the Easytouch box and go through the menu to set the pump rate as it needs to be.

If you need more detail let us know.

Take care.

Actually the rpm's for solar is still 2400 which is what it was set at. I know how to adjust the four Intelliflo speeds and actually change them from time to time. The pool speed is 1500 and when the solar engages the pump normally ramped up to 2400.

Reed,

What was the last thing you changed on the EasyTouch programming?

As Marty says... somehow the settings changed and I doubt it did it all by itself... :D

Are all the other speed changes working? You could have lost communications with the pump.. Does the pump's display read "Display Not Active"?? If not, you have lost communications with the pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The last thing I changed was to adjust the pool speed from 1500 to 2400 to compensate to get it up to the solar speed. I have separate speeds for the spa and for the cleaning function. So three out of four speed settings work. Pump display does read "Display not active".

I am trying to understand your "four speed settings" statement. In an EasyTouch, you can program whatever speed you want for each function. So there are dozens of functions that could all have their own speed setting. The pump control panel is the only place limited to four speed settings. But that is 'Not Active' as you state.

Your Solar function can have its own speed setting. You need to go into the Menu on the Easytouch and set it.

Sorry if I am confused -- hope things work out.

Take care.

I've only ever used four speeds. Leslie's did the install and really didn't go into much explanation. I realize for any of the four speeds you set, you can go through a whole raft of options such and select pool, spa, solar, cleaner, freeze, spa heater, spillway, waterfall, etc. I have actually have tried various speeds for solar experimenting to see which speed provided the best heating. (How long water circulates on the roof before emptying in the pool). The solar setting has worked fine for 7 years until a couple of days ago. I my call Pentair to see if they have any ideas.

Do you have your Easytouch manual. Granted, it is not very easy to follow, but it helped me learn to program the ET myself. Some trial and error.

Now others here say without the ScreenLogic we are dinosaurs -- but I have yet to jump that ship yet!!

Take care.

Reed,

Here are a couple of things you can try if you want..

Go to the outside a panel and select Menu, Settings, and scroll down to "Solar" 1/3 and ensure that Solar is "on" or enabled...

Then back to Setting, IntelliFlo, Pump #1, Speeds... You should see 1/8 in the upper right of the display .. Record what RPM and circuit is assigned to 1/8 (For example mine is rpm 1200, (Pool)

Do the same for 2/8, 3/8, all the way to 8/8..

Let me know what they all say...

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

If you get it fixed, please report back what you found.. It might just help the next guy..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will try that. One thing I just tried was to change the "pool" setting to "solar" and then increase the speed to 2400. It worked except when I then changed the original solar description to pool on the other setting and then decreased the speed from 2400 to 1500, the pump ramped down to 1500 even though the solar was still engaged. Pretty confusing I know. I did send a question to Pentair a few minutes ago.

The Solar button on the front of the EasyTouch only works in Service mode. It bypasses the automation. You need to select solar preferred in the HEAT area of the menu to activate the Solar in the automation.

Pentair may help some, but for detailed programming they will expect you to hire one of their approved vendors. I am sure you can handle this, just use your manual and ask questions here.

First of all I found out my remote is the EasyTouch Wireless Control Panel (has an antenna bumped out on the top) which allows control of the system without going to the outside panel. The remote is #520547 as listed in the EasyTouch manual. I went to the outside panel anyway. You mention 1/8 allowing for 8 speeds. Mine shows 1/4 allowing for only 4 speeds. My pump was installed in 2011 so maybe is an older model. All speeds in panel were as I had set using the Wireless remote. Solar is listed under speed #1 at 2400 rpm. Solar is enabled (red light on) but pump isn't running at 2400. I changed speed for "pool" to 2400 to compensate. Waiting for a reply from Pentair to my email on this issue.

Today I believe I finally solved my solar heating issue. After my Intelliflo pump continued to not always ramp up when the solar cam on I contacted Pentair. Initially I went back and forth with a technician on email not really accomplishing much. He referred the problem to another technician who called me and spent over an hour on the phone on two separate days. He was very knowledgeable walking me through an erasing of my EasyTouch and a complete reprogramming. Basically it had not been properly programmed when the solar heating was installed. Very happy with Pentair and very happy to not have had to call a local pool technician and pay through the nose for the repairs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.