Solar Pool skimmer

Feb 16, 2017
Dunwoody, GA
Anyone using the Solar Breeze NX pool skimmer? it's fairly new, and runs just on solar power. The few reviews I have read have been positive, but just wondered if anyone has one and what their thought(s) about it might be? It's fairly expensive ($500+), but might be worth the investment if it works as advertised. Thanks

After I sent the message, I did find some old threads (2014) but nothing newer. I know the company has changed owners a few times and supposedly fixed the problem with the housing. Just wanted to know if anyone had purchased one recently and what their experience was.

The newer ones started shipping last spring so the jury is still out about long term reliability. they say batteries will need to be changed out every couple of years if the unit is used all year instead of seasonally. if used in the winter , performance may take a hit due to the lack of available sunlight. now that some units have been returned for one reason or another, they may have refurbished units available at a lesser price.

The newer ones started shipping last spring so the jury is still out about long term reliability. they say batteries will need to be changed out every couple of years if the unit is used all year instead of seasonally. if used in the winter , performance may take a hit due to the lack of available sunlight. now that some units have been returned for one reason or another, they may have refurbished units available at a lesser price.

If a device like that outlasts it's initial battery after a few years of use I'd be really surprised.

I purchased the previous generation model 3 years ago. After one season one of the paddlewheels stopped reversing, so it either moved in one direction or the paddlewheels turned in opposite directions and it didn't move. I called them up and they agreed to fix the issues. I shipped it back with a note of what the problem was and a couple of $20s taped to the solar panels. They shipped it back and ... it still only goes one direction. It is actually useful enough only going in one direction that I have continued to use it. This will be season #4 so we'll see.

At a price point of ~$550 dollars, I'm not sure I would buy another unless the following things were true. a) It would work properly for more than one season b) customer service was much improved and c) it somehow figured out how to not get hung up on the ladders.

I have had the solar breeze NX for a little less than a year. I use it year round. It does run less in the winter due to less time spent in the sun. I did have to send it back to solar breeze, under warrantee, to get some issues repaired. Those issues included:
It would cut short its forward mode and go into reverse mode very quickly.
The upper housing developed a small crack.

Solar Breese customer service was, I must say. very responsive to my issues. They paid for shipping back to them, fixed the unit, and its on its way back to me. Ill let you know how the repair went. They mentioned they replaced some gears, a motor, etc. but did not fix the crack as they thought it would look bad. They did state the crack would probably not get worse and would not effect the units mission.

I do wish the company would create a way to charge the unit via a DC charger for those days or weeks the sun don't shine and the leaves and junk fall anyway! I just think it would make for a better product. My .2 cents!

Honestly I don't understand the point of this product and the price point. My skimmer sucks in the the things floating on the top of the pool. Even with my variable speed pump running at near minimum speed it still takes care of the job. The pool would have to have been not designed properly to move the debris to the skimmer for this to be of use.

The crack issue had me laughing. The unit is under warranty and the top cracked and they didn't replace it? For 550 dollars, I personally would insist they replace the top.

I got my NX last October just in time for the fall season. I must have lucked out and got a good one, since I've had no problems so far. The skimmer still does the bulk the work, as mentioned above. I run mine 5 hours a day, 10 to 3. But when the skimmer is off the NX is still our there picking up stuff well into the night using free energy. I also use my Polaris robot 2-3 times a week to get the bottom/sides. I think I'll appreciate it more during the swim season when the NX is getting those bugs, pollen, etc., instead of reaching for the small net to clean the surface. I'm more picky when we are actually sitting out there or swimming versus off-season when I'm just trying keep 99% of the stuff out of the pool. I've been thinking of taking a time lapse video, which would be interesting to quickly see how much it moves around.
Anyway, pricey, but no regrets here. Hopefully the battery replacement after a couple years of use won't be too painful.

I guess if I have $560, and I have nothing else to spend it on.........

Seems a bit like cork sniffing to me. While I can't argue their theory (get it before it sinks), my pool is under two large trees, and my through-wall skimmer, along with Wanda the Whale do just fine keeping my pool clean enough for me and my family, and that is with all girls in the pool. 5 minutes with my $15 hand skimmer takes care of any floaties we might see before the water gets stirred up, the remaining $545 could go towards more solar panels, pool toys, or a grill/deck upgrade.

While reading the website I was thinking to myself, "Wow, sounds like a great idea that they are backing up with practical info" until I read this paragraph:

Solar Breeze website said:
Using a Solar-Breeze means that less material needs to be cleaned from the bottom of your pool and less bacteria grows in your pool during the day when most people have their filtration system turned off. Therefore, Solar-Breeze owners are able to reduce their pool pump run time by as much as 1/2 to 2/3. This results in a substantial monthly savings on their energy bill.

Well, if you have bacteria growing in your pool, you might want to spend that $560 on a good test kit, & some chlorine LOL. The "Solar Skimmer" is not a sanitizer.

/rant

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.