solar panels making lots of BTUs... but this many?

In a sunny location it is amazing how hot well designed and working solar panels can get a pool. I have a friend in South Florida that has to turn off the solar almost all summer or his pool turns into a large hot tub. He left it running for a couple of days to find it over 100..

You can't go by 1 degree. The temperature sensor isn't that accurate and the temperature might have been on the edge of one temperature ready to change to the next temperature.

In a sunny location it is amazing how hot well designed and working solar panels can get a pool. I have a friend in South Florida that has to turn off the solar almost all summer or his pool turns into a large hot tub. He left it running for a couple of days to find it over 100..

I can second that! 12,000 gallon pool in Orlando, FL got to be 105 in 3 days, no solar cover, just running water to the roof for the 7hrs the pump runs. Looking forward to the “winter” months to see how warm I can keep it.

—Dan

The only way to accurately measure the output of a solar system is to look at how many degrees the water going through the system gains--not the gains in the pool. Measuring the water temp entering the system and the water temp exiting will give you the gain. Then factor in the system's flow rate to give an accurate idea of actual BTU output from the solar array.

Ambient temperature and direct solar gain from the water surface accounts for most of the daily pool temperature gains we see.

My pool gains 120k BTU per day OVERALL on a hot sunny day in Canada. Only ~20k BTU comes from my solar.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.