Solar Panels installed by non-professional

@knew2pools, are your panels above or below the pool?
The panels are below the pool. The pool is about 20 feet higher than the equipment and panels.
@knew2pools, can you take a picture of what that stainless steel hose clamp is doing (like showing the opposite side of the screw)? Is it holding a temperature sensor with a wire coming out of it leading to the solar controller?
Yes and it is still wired into the solar controller. What its clamp to is an old pvc pipe that looks like it use to be the part that goes from the top of the pump to inlet of the filter.

Attachments

• PXL_20220730_212120229.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220730_212120229.MP.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
The panels are below the pool.
In that case, they can't drain each day, so your system is fine in that regard.

Yes and it is still wired into the solar controller. What its clamp to is an old pvc pipe that looks like it use to be the part that goes from the top of the pump to inlet of the filter.
That is your water temperature sensor, and it's located in an appropriate spot. So as long as that is working, that is also all fine the way it is. Based on everything we're discovering, I'd say your original installation was perfectly fine. My bad for not understanding your panels are below the pool. Now it's just a matter of figuring out which of your controller or your actuator is not working.

Last edited:
That is your water temperature sensor, and it's located in an appropriate spot. So as long as that is working, that is also all fine the way it is.
Looking at the picture in post 21, it looks like the temp sensor is connected to a section of pipe that was previously cut out, left laying around the equipment pad, and @knew2pools is holding that section in his hand for the pic.

The panels are below the pool. The pool is about 20 feet higher than the equipment and panels.

Better to place the temp sensor after the filter for a longer service life of the sensor. 5/16" hole for that one.

Looking at the picture in post 21, it looks like the temp sensor is connected to a section of pipe that was previously cut out, left laying around the equipment pad, and @knew2pools is holding that section in his hand for the pic.
Ah, the cut pipe is outside the crop on my screen until I expand the image. Trying to assemble a solar system is a bit easier in person than through internet pics! If that's the case, then it needs to be installed, of course.

@knew2pools howdy neighbor! I also dont see the solar temp sensor at the panels which would be needed for automation. One advantage to the new solar touch controller is that it does have any antifreeze mode that will open the valve and start the pump if it detects temperature below x. While we don't get freeze here often, it does happen and you will either have to manually drain down the system or keep water running thru the pipes.
We also installed solar on a rack below the pool so have a very similar setup.

So after not getting the Actuator to work I decided to order this Pentair Solar controller Little worried the website price is like half the price of other places so hopefully I actually get it. We will see.

@Ahultin - Oh yeah we are neighbors! Reading your signature seems like you have an amazing setup, might have to pick your brain sometime on some additions I'd like to incorporate into mine.

So after not getting the Actuator to work I decided to order this Pentair Solar controller Little worried the website price is like half the price of other places so hopefully I actually get it. We will see.
So just a few weeks ago I was working in a thread with a guy that was shopping for Pentair's ScreenLogic. I showed him a page with an unbelievable price, but then I asked of our group if anyone had heard of the vendor or website. A fellow member chimed in to warn us that the website might be a scam. I googled for a review of the site, and found many hits warning of a possible scam with that website. It wasn't the same web address as your vendor, but...

I just did a similar search on "tochiw.com review" and got similar hits, though not as ominous sounding. Point being, scammers are out there. Ya know, ya get what ya pay for (and sometimes not even that). If you used a credit card, you might have some protection, but I've learned the hard way that that protection is not always a guarantee. So buyer beware.

In the future, if you have a question about a vendor, come and ask about them here before you order. You'll either get a bunch of "Oh, yah, used them, they're great." or "Danger! Danger Will Robinson!!"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.