Solar panel replacement -

jvmagic

Sep 13, 2007
Hi,

I've had the same solar panels on my 2nd story roof for nearly 16 years (came with the house when I purchased). Two panels are leaking and look toasted. I ordered two panel from my local reseller and noticed that the new panels are plastic whereas my current panels are rubber. Which is preferred and why? Just curious.

Thanks in advance,

~JV

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
No idea - let's see if @mas985 can provide his opinion.

mas985

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
There are two general classes of materials used in pool solar panels, EPDM synthetic rubber and PVC/Plastic derivatives. They will both heat the pool in similar ways. EPDM is a bit tougher than PVC so usually will last longer but it can also degrade from high chlorine exposure. EPDM usually uses a separate header so when they leak it is usually at the connection (e.g. barb breaks) to the header and not necessarily in the tubing. PVC panels are usually made in one piece and it is the panel tubing the leaks first but not always. If you had a leaking panel, then you may only need to replace the header.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread