Solar panel leak

Sep 13, 2007
Hi,
I have a panel with a couple of leaks. I inserted repair plugs along with liquid nail. After testing the following day, the upper hole no longer leaked but the bottom hole on the same panel/same line still leaks (see photo and video). I thought if the top hole was plugged, the bottom hole would be as well. Do I have to plug both sides of this bottom hole? Is there a better way to plug these lines. I don't know the maker of the panels either. I rubbed my hands on the panel to see if it's rubber or plastic but I can't tell (my hands got a little dirty after rubbing the panel).

Thanks in advance

Let me try to explain again as I may have not included all the necessary info.
I plugged the upper leak inserting plugs pointing up only (not plugging this same hole on the other side (pointing down). I figured water flows downward and no need to plug the line where it points down.
I plugged the second leak on the same row that is closest to the bottom of the panel the same way (inserted plugs pointing up to the panel). Yet the leak still exists. Do I need to plug this lower leak on the side that has no plugs? I thought water flows one way on these panels (from top to bottom only; just my assumption)
I hope I made sense. Thanks

The water flows through the path of least resistance. Normally it would go through the pump, be pushed up to the top of the panel, flow through to the bottom of the panel, then down and into the pool. However if there is a hole in the line, since the water is under pressure, the path of least resistance is up the tube and out the hole.

Did you use a repair kit like below? You have to plug each side of leaking tube.

I used this exact same kit. I'll look later today to see if the leak stopped as I used plugs on both ends on each hole.

Are those enersol panels
I'm not sure as I can't see any marking on the panels anywhere. Any idea how to check?

Nice! I had to plug a hole in my panel from a firework that landed on it hot.

I could be wrong, but if it helps your panels look like the exact ones I had. The brand was Solar Industries out of Arizona.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
*** NEW UPDATE ***
When the solar is circulating, there are no leaks. The next morning after running the solar the precious day, I notice a leak coming from the gutters (slight drops; solar is on the 2nd story roof). I go up to the panels and don't see a visible leak but do see where a roof tile is moist (same place where I repaired the last leak). This is so annoying.
If I drain the panels at night (run a hose to the pool) I avoid the leak from happening and doing any further damage to my gutters.
I guess I'll have to do the repair again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.