Solar panel delta?

Oct 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
I'm playing with pump speed and watching the incoming/outgoing water temperature differences. I've learned from reading here that more volume is generally better than less. But too much flow can also be bad. Looking at it from a different perspective, do I want a greater delta or smaller delta?

The panels should have a specified range of water flow. Ideally, you want to target that.

Lower delta is usually more efficient. However, you need to be careful not to overpressurize the panels.

An in to out delta of 3 degrees (solar noon) is usually a good target to aim for. However, panel pressure is also a consideration. Some panels do not handle high pressure as well as others.

Who is the manufacture of your panels and how high are they installed above the filter gauge?

Are the panel returns plumbed back into the pad or is there a separate return for just solar?

An in to out delta of 3 degrees (solar noon) is usually a good target to aim for.
That's what I was seeing yesterday. Though I don't always expect it to be so.
Who is the manufacture of your panels and how high are they installed above the filter gauge?
That would be me. It's a DIY black irrigation tubing affair. It sits on top of what we call the Ramada (a 6x28 corrugated steel roof over the equipment pad and propane tank). Maybe 4 feet higher than the filter gauge.
Are the panel returns plumbed back into the pad or is there a separate return for just solar?
Back into the pad. Not far to go - deliberately. Because I didn't expect it to work well at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.