Solar heating worth it - in NJ?

Jul 6, 2013
Scotch Plains, NJ
I have a decent sized (18x36) inground pool. My backyard gets direct sun from 800am to 600pm in the summer. But right now although the pool is up and 'running' it's unusable given the temperature. (Currently in the mid 60s :eek:)

I do have an existing gas line out there for a heater that was previously connected and is now long gone. However, I have heard horror stories of the cost of heating with gas in NJ. I've been contemplating the solar option but not sure if it's worth it to consider this or if I should just bite the bullet and go with a standard gas heater.

Any fellow Jerseyans feel strongly one way or the other? If you've installed solar in NJ are there any recommendations for specific companies to use or more importantly stay away from?

(We do have a solar blanket we put on it every night.)

There are various online solar calculators that take into account your regional needs. The Department of Energy has a fairly extensive one that will compare multiple heating options (gas versus solar, etc).

How much roof space do you have? Typically a southwest exposure is best and you need roughly 80-100% of your pools surface area in roof area for panels. You’ll be pumping water up to those panels so you’ll also want to have an automation system and a variable speed pump capable of controlling the flow. Solar panels can go from being pool heaters to pool coolers (via radiative heat loss) if you don’t have a system in place that controls the valves. A solar installation, when done properly, can easily run you about $5000 or more. A gas heater can cost about $3k-$4k plus utility rates.

Lots of variable to consider....

Look around. You don't see solar heat panels on many roofs in our area.

Horror stories of gas heating costs are relative. If you know the gallons in your pool you can calculate the cost of raising the pool water temperature X degrees.

Then the trick is not losing the heat when the air temperature is less than the wtar temperature. Solar blankets on the water help retain the heat and reduce your heating cost.

Last edited:
All good points.

These links have some info that can help you estimate savings based on your area if you are willing to do a little work and some math. I'd guess the solar would pay for itself within a reasonable time if your site location was suitable. The gas heater will never "pay for itself"... :) But out here in CA, quite a few people opt for both (we need gas for the spa but it's still cheaper in the long run to heat as much as you can from solar).

If you do the math and solar will "pay for itself" within whatever you consider a reasonable timeframe, you could go that route for a season and see if you still feel you need more heat to get where you want to be...and put a gas heater (and maybe that spa you are missing) in at that point. ;-)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.