solar heater advice needed

caycarem said:
so far almost $1300...this is going to be over my $1500 budget :( I hope my wife will think it'll be worth it or i might have to be sleeping next to the pool filter!

5 Elm 2" panels + system kit + 5 panel kits + elbow pvcs= $600 (craigslist)
3 elm row spacer kits = $135 (ebay)
solar touch controller = $249 (sunplay)
solar cover 16x32 12mil + reel = $255 (amazon)
2 check valves + ball valves = $57 (amazon)

next to buy:
wood to make a 4x12 frame
garden bib + T pvc
plumbing stuff, ~10 of 10' PVCs 2" to run to and from filter ->roof, PVCs for panel connections, glue? other fittings?
not sure if anything else?

Way too much money to spend to heat a pool with solar. Might as well just find a good pond and drive there to swim. :hammer:

4 - 5K? :!: :?: :grrrr: That would pay for a lot of fuel to go to a local pond or lake!!! Count me out. Perhaps I could spend that on the moving van to go south where it is warmer longer and little need for a pool heater :-D

smid87 said:
4 - 5K? :!: :?: :grrrr: That would pay for a lot of fuel to go to a local pond or lake!!! Count me out. Perhaps I could spend that on the moving van to go south where it is warmer longer and little need for a pool heater :-D

How far south are you plannig to go? I'm in Tucson (60 mi from the Mexican border) with 300+ days of sun, the air temp is 108 today, and I have a solar system on my roof that is about 85% of the surface area of the pool. There are still days when I wish it were a bit more, but I use the solar heat...a lot.

chiefwej said:
smid87 said:

How far south are you plannig to go? I'm in Tucson (60 mi from the Mexican border) with 300+ days of sun, the air temp is 108 today, and I have a solar system on my roof that is about 85% of the surface area of the pool. There are still days when I wish it were a bit more, but I use the solar heat...a lot.

Same here ... and the system will be free to run as long as I own the house. I did my own install and spent around $1500 as well. Previous house was tiled and cost over $4k for the install

If you are more happy swimming in a pond (is it warmer?) instead of a safe pool ... feel free. Perhaps you have not read this:
to-avoid-brain-eating-amoebas-hold-your-nose-t37787.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.