Solar Heater Addition in Baton Rouge, LA (DIY)

If anyone is interested, I've posted my time lapse video of my solar heater install to YouTube. Also included below is my time lapse video of my pool build. Enjoy!

Solar Heater Time Lapse
cleardot.gif

Pool Build Time Lapse

Came back to this old thread to ask how much of a temperature increase you are able to get with your solar heater...
My pool without is 73 degrees today in Prairieville. And it's currently 73 degrees outside. I think the pool was 69 degrees last week.
Just looking for a general idea...I know it'll vary depending on how many gallons of water and such...

And have the parts on the roof held up well through hurricanes and such?

Thanks!

Came back to this old thread to ask how much of a temperature increase you are able to get with your solar heater...
My pool without is 73 degrees today in Prairieville. And it's currently 73 degrees outside. I think the pool was 69 degrees last week.
Just looking for a general idea...I know it'll vary depending on how many gallons of water and such...

And have the parts on the roof held up well through hurricanes and such?

Thanks!
I don’t really have a good baseline comparison of NOT having the heater on for a whole day, but it ran pretty continuously today since we didn’t have much wind for a change (wind definitely makes it cycle on/off more during the day). Looking at the history, it looks like it went from 81F to 96F today, and the ambient temp got up to 97F. Yesterday was cooler, windier and shadier, so you can see it didn’t run that much and it only went up from 83F to 86F. Just my gut feeling for having it for several years is that if I didn’t run it at all today the water might have gotten to 88F instead of 96F. We did get in this afternoon, and it was plenty warm enough for me, but 88F would have been a little too cool for me, so worth it! Since you’re close by, maybe you could post what your max water temp was today for a better comparison.

Oh, and the parts have held up fine over the years. No additional prep/repair required for hurricanes. Only thing I’ve done is repainted the pipes about a year ago due to UV fading it pretty quickly. It’s about due for another coat now, but honestly I’m the only one that notices it, so it may get skipped for a while. 😁

Attachments

• 34D6BBA2-8EC9-4171-B5EA-76B7740C7D44.png
    34D6BBA2-8EC9-4171-B5EA-76B7740C7D44.png
    506.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 245EDBAD-E90B-4440-9BB7-6F339CE47545.png
    245EDBAD-E90B-4440-9BB7-6F339CE47545.png
    517.3 KB · Views: 5
I don’t really have a good baseline comparison of NOT having the heater on for a whole day, but it ran pretty continuously today since we didn’t have much wind for a change (wind definitely makes it cycle on/off more during the day). Looking at the history, it looks like it went from 81F to 96F today, and the ambient temp got up to 97F. Yesterday was cooler, windier and shadier, so you can see it didn’t run that much and it only went up from 83F to 86F. Just my gut feeling for having it for several years is that if I didn’t run it at all today the water might have gotten to 88F instead of 96F. We did get in this afternoon, and it was plenty warm enough for me, but 88F would have been a little too cool for me, so worth it! Since you’re close by, maybe you could post what your max water temp was today for a better comparison.

Oh, and the parts have held up fine over the years. No additional prep/repair required for hurricanes. Only thing I’ve done is repainted the pipes about a year ago due to UV fading it pretty quickly. It’s about due for another coat now, but honestly I’m the only one that notices it, so it may get skipped for a while. 😁
Thanks! Yeah I want to do something for heating and cooling. My low was 73 and high was 80. I don’t have a history logger so those are just when I checked at 8am and 530pm...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.