Solar heat on an aboveground pool - worth it?

Feb 20, 2015
West Hempstead
I just installed an Intex 24' round pool, about 12.5k gallons. My wife wants the water warmer, but I really don't want to invest in an expensive heat pump (I have a lot of experience with heat pumps used with in-ground pools, but this is my first aboveground). My calculations say the pool has a surface area of at least 415 square feet (I don't know the exact diameter of the pool, but I believe it's actually a bit less than 24'), with exposure to direct sunlight a good part of the day. At any rate, it seems to me that adding say 80 square feet of solar panels will make little difference (I don't have a huge amount of usable area left for panels), as it will only be a small fraction of the total exposed surface area (assuming the panels and the pool surface have the same sun exposure). Am I missing something, or is this simply an exercise in futility and wasted money? I live just outside of NYC if that makes any difference.

Have you thought about just getting a solar cover instead? Most heat loss is overnight due to evaporation.

Reactions: sammckin
Welcome to the forum!

With 80 sq-ft, best case, you could expect up to 1.6F max gain in a single day with full sun exposure and high efficiency flow rates. With multiple sunny days, you can expect about twice that as an average. 3F is not a lot but can make a difference.

A cover would probably give you more heat.

Step 1: use a solar cover to retain the heat you have.
Step 2: consider Solar.
I added about 80 sqft of solar panels to a 15x30 AGP, which is about 420 sqft. I definitely could tell a difference. Not so much in the heat of summer, but in the shoulder months. Warmed up quicker and stayed warm later into the season.
definitely consider a controller. It was kinda a pain manually adjusting the valve depending on if it was a hot or cold day, sunny or not, day vs night.

Agreed on the solar cover. Made a huge difference for us.

Just this past weekend we were in the pool in the morning it was 83. Covered it back up and 5-6 hours later took the solar cover off and it was up to 86.

I am around the same area as you (Northern NJ). As others have said, solar cover. Mine is on the pool almost all of the time unless somebody is using it. It is amazing how fast the temp can drop overnight if I don't put the cover on.

My wife is the same way - to her 90 F is where it starts to get comfortable (but she would love to have the AC set to 68).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.