Solar cover

Apr 1, 2017
Brockton, MA
So glad I've discovered this web site. My kids have been complaining about the water being too cold which prompts me to look for options. My question relates solar covers. I have a 16 by 32 in ground rectangular pool. I have some tree shade on the pool.
1. Is this an option? Are there different grades? Is there a particular brand?
2. Do I need to invest in a reel? It is cumbersome?
3. Is it possible to cut the cover in thirds and not use a reel.
4. Will it really make a difference in water temperature?
5. Will I be more prone to have algae in the pool with a solar cover?

Thanks for your reply.

1. Yes. Get the thinnest 8 mil, cheapest one. They all last 2-3 years and thinner is lighter and easier to handle.
2. No.
3. Yes, cutting it makes it easier to handle and roll up off the pool.
4. Yes. Water with no cover wants to be the average of hi and lo temp. So lo 70 and hi 90 gives 80 degree water. A solar cover will push you up closer to the high temp.
5. No, not if you maintain ypur chlorine above minimum for your CYA at all times, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], target or higher is better.

I can tell you that working with a rectangular pool will be easier. I had a solid cover and what a PIA to remove. So I cut the cover is 2 (well really 3 with the steps as it is a small piece). And the cover is still difficult to get on and off with one person. If you have help, you can make your own reel. I used 1" schedule 30 PVC and this helps me roll it up. Moving by myself is difficult as no one wants to help.

I am now considering cutting the cover in 4 pieces. I really believe this will not make that much of a difference in heat loss. The covers do help retain heat, especially at night. If you are going to use it, put it on at night and remove in the morning. The $10 for the PVC is a lot less expensive than a $175 reel. If you have help, you may be able to get away with one piece. I figure that my pool retains anywhere from 4-6 degrees, again all depending on weather.

I'm trying to picture using the PVC to roll it. That sounds like a better idea rather than investing in a reel. Please help me to figure usinh the PVC . How long does it have to be. I have a 16 by 3 rectangular pool.
Read this thread below. I made mine last year. Love it. Pay particular attention to the type of pipe used. You don't really want to use PVC. Rather ABS cellular core is what you need, because it floats.

DIY Solar Cover Roller

As I mentioned previously, I only have a 1 " PVC. The other ideas are great and depends how much effort you want to put into the idea. My fitting (which was not glued) keeps coming off, so now only 10' until I can find a fitting that is longer to glue one 10' and one 5' piece. Rolling out is easy as you need to get on hands and knees. My cover is cut in 1/2 and the almost the same size as yours.

In the past, I was rolling back in from the same side I was rolling out. Now I go to opposite side and there is an extra section for either a skimmer or ladder in where I step on. Then with thebrush, I roll the cover back in the pool if this makes sense and just keeps rolling in the pool. Once at the end, you have to take the PVC out. The PVC has 2 end caps (not glued) so not to damage the liner. As I am rolling the cover back in, I smooth out the wrinkles. I have more trouble trying to figure out where to put the cover so it is not an eye sore once off the pool.

If there was no diving board, the cover would come off a lot easier and I would work from that side, inside of pool skimmer & ladder sides. To use the PVC, just roll the cover off the pool slightly and place the plastic at end of cover and start rolling and then you have to continue to pull cover and roll again. I pull the cover out about 8' and roll and then pull again and roll. Some back yards may not have the space. Even the red stone does not get in the way.

Put cover away somewhere away from needle trees and falling objects. Also good to cover with something, like a tarp away from the sun (what I was told from manufacturer) to place in the shade.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.