Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello,

I’m in the process of buying a solar cover and realize that there are different thicknesses . Besides from being thicker what are the benefits of having say a 12 ml compared to a 8, 10ml cover. I know the 12 ml will be heavier and more expensive but will it last longer? Retain heat better?

Thanks.

Hey aqua man !!! The thickness does not matter for heat retention. Seran wrap would stop the same amount of evaporation as the thick cover.

If properly cared for (on a reel with a cover to protect from UV when not on the pool), and cover can last 5 years. If you are just dragging it off the pool by hand then you can all but expect it to only last a season, maybe two.

The thicker covers take more stress with putting on/off, but the bubbles are the same on all of them. If it lasts long enough to not rip/tear, the bubbles are always the failure point.

It’s pretty much a wash if you buy the cheapest cover you can find and replace it more often, or buy a thicker cover less prone to rips. But the thicker cover is much more of a PITA to use (especially when wet) so there is that to consider also.

This one is a personal crud shoot for everybody but I would go in the middle with 12 if I did it again as slightly more durable than the 8 and less effort than the 16. :)

Reactions: Aquaman7
My first one here in FL was a 6 mil cover. Loved it. Light weight and easy to take on and off with two of the DIY reels. Here in FL, I don't care what mil you get, the sun will kill the cover within 2 years, so the cheaper, the better.

In MI, I had 12 mil, but a much bigger and better reel, and in GA I had an 8 mil. Based on experience, if I could find a 4 mil, I'd grab it!

I'll need a replacement this fall, and I can't find anyone even selling a 6 mil cover anywhere - the lightest is 8 mil.

Since you mentioned 6 mil. Let me just throw this out there... if the only purpose for the solar cover is to prevent evaporation why not go to Home Depot and buy a 6 mL visqueen and cut it to fit the shape of your pool?

It won’t float well without the bubbles. We’d all be using tarps or clear plastic sheathing if they did.

Seran wrap would do the job just as well from an evaporation standpoint. Boy what I’d pay to see you try and roll it up / reuse it. :ROFLMAO:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.