Solar cover questions

Sep 20, 2018
N TN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’d like to start using our solar cover to decrease evaporation some and increase the temperature of the water now that the evenings are getting cooler. We only use the pool on weekends so we would like to keep the solar cover on during the week while the pool isn’t being used and remove it on weekends. Before we put it on our pool, I’ve got a few questions. 1. Can we continue manually dosing with liquid chlorine everyday with the solar cover on or will it need to be removed in order for the chlorine to get dispersed around the pool sufficiently? If the cover is going to need to be removed before adding the chlorine in front of a return, it is going to be too much of a pain to use it. 2. Can solar covers can be used if leaves fall into your pool frequently? Will the cover prevent leaves from going into the skimmer and will it be difficult to get leaves out that fall into the pool? The skimmer usually catches most of the leaves but I worry that this won’t happen if the solar cover is on. I also worry that the cover will make it hard for us to get leaves off the surface of the water in the mornings. When leaves are falling, we go out every morning to get leaves off the surface of the water so they don’t fall to the bottom of the pool when the pump turns on. If the cover is going to make this task difficult, we don’t want to use it.

A reel simplifies things; you can sweep any leaves as you are reeling It in. Most leaves stay on top of the solar blanket, and the skimmer should be unaffected. Depending on number of returns and orientation, there is sometimes less scouring action near the pool floor or in corners resulting in lower chlorine irrigation in those places. The main reason to use a solar blanket is to reduce evaporation.

Last edited:
as indicated, a reel make things easier and if you do, get one with "some height" - our reel is low and we put the reel on a pair of cinder block for easier reeling. As for the leaves, I use a leaf blower time-to-time to blow leaves (of course, this is when the leaves are dry enough to be blown).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.