Solar controller not actuating valve (Pentair Lx220)

May 17, 2014
Hesperia, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I am having problems with my Solar system not actuating. I have the Pentair Lx220 control and it will not actuate the valve in Auto or On position. I changed the micro switches in the valve actuator but that did not fix it. Have also replaced both of the sensors for the water and solar. I can actuate the valve by the switch on the valve actuator. Is there any repair to the Lx220 control unit?

The manual has the following troubleshooting section, time to break out a multimeter. Also check the cable isn't damaged. If the circuit board is faulty, I'd recommend replacing with a Pentair SolarTouch (even a used on from eBay would work).

Water Flow To Panels Switch Does Not Operate The Valve Actuator

If the Valve Actuator does not operate when using the WATER FLOW TO PANELS Switch (sliding switch between ON and OFF), either the Valve Actuator or the Circuit Board is at fault.

First verify that the toggle switch located on the Valve Actuator is either in the ON1 or ON2 position.

With a voltmeter, check the output voltage of the VLV1 socket located on the LX-220 Circuit Board. When the WATER FLOW TO PANELS Switch is in the OFF position, the top and middle pins should read 24 VAC.

When the WATER FLOW TO PANELS switch is in the ON position, the top and bottom pins should read 24 VAC. If voltage readings are correct, replace the Valve Actuator. If voltage readings are incorrect, replace the Circuit Board.

Thank you for the info. I put the switch to ON2 and unplugged the connector at VLV1.

With the Water flow to the panels switch off there was 28 VAC at top and middle pins. With switch ON voltage at top and bottom was 28 VAC.

With the water flow to the panels switch off, I plugged the connector back in and put the valve switch in the ON1 position. Then turned the water flow to panels switch to AUTO the valve started to close. So I adjusted the Temp switch up and it opened back up. When the sun goes down I will check and see if it closes again, it is only 102 here today so it should be on. There may have been something in the connector but I hope it keeps working.

Thank you again for the quick response and handy troubleshooting info.

Reactions: guinness
Glad you're back up and running for now, it's possible that re-seating the connector did the trick. Another tip is that before replacing sensors you can measure resistance to verify temperature readings as per the chart below.

DEG. FOHMS

Should the power be on to the controller all the time? I just was checking it and the Power on light was on and the Solar on light kept flashing on. I could hear what sounded like a relay clicking inside the panel when the light was flashing. So I put the switch in the off position and it stopped. Now the Pool Cleaner Delay Expired light is light.

Yes the controller should always be powered. Do you or did you ever have a pressure-side booster pump? When solar is turned on there's protection to stop air from entering the pump, that's the clicking noise you hear.

If the solar light is flashing then a faulty sensor might be causing it to switch between on/off. Test the resistance on both the sensors and see if the value fluctuates on the multimeter. Also check the wires are screwed in tight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.