Solar Blanket Trimming

robf

May 18, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Any recommendations on how to fit a solar blanket on my rectangular pool with one wall being higher? I also have a spa that I can cut a separate cover for but it has a spillway.

We just had our 4.5 year old plaster removed under warranty and replaced with aggregate. It looks great but suffers from evaporation!

Thanks in advance for any tips!686C880D-9AB3-470C-9CD5-343139B57963.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you using a reel? You can just trim the cover flush with the wall (not sure I understand the question). For the spillway, cut a u-shaped section out where the water falls into the pool. I don't cover my spa, but there shouldn't be any issues with covering yours if you want.

Thanks guys! No reel as there isn’t enough real estate for it.

I had read that ideally the ends of the blanket should curve up and tuck under coping. Obviously this would be tough as my rear pool wall is about 2 feet high. I was toying with draping it over and using bricks but in addition to looking ugly, the Santa Ana winds would wreak havoc.

My main purpose for the cover is evaporation reduction. It gets sun all day and is a play pool style so it warms up quick. With cooler night I can lose an inch of water in 2 days. Our water is hard here so trying yo keep my CH in check as the water company gets miffed when we refill too much.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I cut mine (when I still bothered with a cover) so it laid flat on the surface. When it stuck up, even a little, the wind caught it. Out where you live, the wind is even worse. I have the spa flow low enough so that the cover stayed put even though water was spilling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.