Softener vs pool salt

ekim

May 4, 2013
nj
What is the difference between softener salt and pool salt. From what I can tell the water softener is bigger crystals - does that mean it's harder to dissolve?

I have to put ~10 bags in. $90 for pool salt vs $70 for softener salt. If the pool salt will save me a few hours of brushing to get the salt to dissolve then I may pay extra.

Any insight/advice?

morton-salt-pool-balancers-f124660000-64_1000.jpgmorton-salt-water-softener-salt-3983-64_1000.jpg

As long as there are no additives, both are salt. I use water softener salt. I do not bother brushing. It dissolves in a short time. Go swimming or use the robot to mix it up.

Reactions: PoolGate
Thanks for the quick replies. I got 5 bags in and the brushing isn't bad at all. I poured them around the entire pool. I think I'm just going to dump the next 5 right into the deep end - any reason to not do that?

Nope. Just keep the SWCG powered OFF while you are adding and mixing in the salt.

If you have a main drain, pull more water from that for a while.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.