Soft sounding water features for three-foot tall wall?

SwimmingBevo

Gold Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
Austin, Texas
I have a three foot retaining wall that is 52’ long against the back of my pool. Photo attached.

I am having to rebuild this wall (too long to explain story atm). We currently have water sheers x2 that are each 36” wide at the top of the wall.

Problem is they are really loud when running and I’ve tried a variable speed pump but to no avail.

What other feature would y’all recommend that is quieter and more “peaceful?” It’s hard to talk and listen when the sheers were running.

I was thinking maybe five or so of those scuppers across the wall and maybe a foot down? Want to keep a “modern” look to whatever we use.

Appreciate any thoughts.

060421F5-5030-4885-9FF8-C2AB88F9FC92.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bev,

This is why a lot of pool owners, including myself, almost never run their waterfall walls.

What some find soothing, others find obnoxiously noisy.

Sorry, but I have no suggestions on how to fix the issue. :(

Let's see what our other members have to say.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: SwimmingBevo
Yeah, they look nice from afar…but as you likely know…during a pool gathering they are very noisy. Thinking the scuppers could be nice if we find a minimal looking set, maybe stainless steel and do about five or six across. What I’m thinking so far.

Thanks for your response.

If you don’t run scuppers continuously they hold stagnant water and become a breeding ground for algae.

We see people who are constantly fighting algae problems because of fancy water feature breeding grounds.

I have 3, 6" scuppers on a wall, and they are about 15" above the waterline. To me, they are a soothing noise. Definitely not too noisy to talk over, even when you are in the pool. Both the scuppers and bubblers running sound nice to me and help to drown out unwanted ambient noise.

My deck jets are annoying as heck, because they are hitting the surface from much higher up. They probably shoot 36-40" in the air.

I think if you could find a solution that would move the opening within 16"-18" of the water surface you might be much happier with that.

I do have all of my water features set to run at least 15 minutes, 4 times a week, to prevent stagnant water issues.

--Jeff

In my opinion sheers and laminars are the quietest features.

Followed in by scuppers, then deck jets, then waterfalls, then slides. Last two changing position based on waterfall height.

If your sheer is actually sheer (solid water) it should be noticeably quieter than free falling water falling from the same height. Sheers and laminars are designed to be more laminar in their flow, which is less turbulent and less aerating than other features.

With a laminar jet, you can usually reduce its volume and reduce its noise. But with sheers, sometimes that causes the water to group in the middle and make it louder or negate the gain by reducing the volume in the first place.

All this to say; its about as quiet as you'll get it. Features are best for eye candy or to purposely drown out noise by being noisy!

You may consider engineering a clever "wall hugging" waterfall like you find in nice Chinese restaurants :LOL: . I'm not familiar with a product that encourages surface tension to hold water to the vertical surface but maybe someone else does.

Either way, I imagine some clever design could be implemented like recessing the sheer blade back and forcing it to make contact with cementitous material and then spill over and down. A lower volume of water would be needed to prevent it from exceeding the holding effect you're after.

Caveat with this is a lot of scale build up on your vertical surface and even some long-term erosion.

You may consider engineering a clever "wall hugging" waterfall like you find in nice Chinese restaurants :LOL: . I'm not familiar with a product that encourages surface tension to hold water to the vertical surface but maybe someone else does.

Either way, I imagine some clever design could be implemented like recessing the sheer blade back and forcing it to make contact with cementitous material and then spill over and down. A lower volume of water would be needed to prevent it from exceeding the holding effect you're after.

Caveat with this is a lot of scale build up on your vertical surface and even some long-term erosion.
Thanks for this thought. We’ve actually considered this. With the wall 52’ I was thinking maybe three sections 3’ each spaced evenly apart along wall where you could creat this effect. I think running tile down it against the stone might be pretty cool….just need the water to not soak into the stone…it’s lueders. So, maybe some kinds of tile edge/border.

Reactions: bradgray

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.