SoFlo pool owner with no real knowledge

crock921

Sep 27, 2019
Ft Lauderdale, FL
Hi everyone.
I inherited a 15,000 gal in ground when I bought my home. I have always relied on my neighbors with similar pools for advice, but it's time I grasp this thing and get a strong understanding of how it works.

I have trusted pinch a penny for the last 5 years, along with neighbors, with average results. I am sinking some money into the pool, pump, and system now, so I want to get it working as smoothly as possible.

I currently clean the filter weekly, have a leaf catcher attached to the suction vac, and run that about 6 hours daily. I add a jug of chlorine (2.5g) each week, along with 3 "complete" tablets. I don't really test as long as everything is blue and clear.

Please go easy on my ignorance, it has been bliss (until I had a problem)

Welcome to TFP.

We have Pool School for you at Pool School - Trouble Free Pool

To follow TFPC Methods you need your own test kit. The TF-100 Test Kits or Taylor K-2006C. See...

Download PoolMath

Once you get your test kit then post your water chemistry or share it in your PoolMath logs and we will see what you need to do next.

Please put details of your pool in your signature so we can give you the best advice. If you don't know details of your pool equipment then post pics of your equipment pad and we will help identify the stuff.

Why do you clean your filter weekly? What type and size filter do you have?

Last edited:
I have a cannister filter. Like I said, I have just followed the advice of my neighbors. They said to hose out the cannister filter media and add the chemicals weekly. He also adds acid weekly, but after some reading here, I stopped that practice of randomly adding chemicals. Checking my last order, it says 90 sq ft hayward filter.

Ill get the test kit and get started on pool school. Thanks for your help.

Base your filter cleaning on the pressure gauge. When the pressure rises by 25% over your starting pressure it’s time to clean out the debris that has been collected by the filter.

If your filter clogs quickly you may have algae in your pool water.

You are headed in the right direction. It will take some reading but all the information you need is here. You can also search youtube for TFP videos that will help. Learning your pool system is the key. There are many experts here willing to answer your questions on all things pool related. Also notice no pesky advertisments in here. Welcome.