Sodium Hypoclorite posted on Jug// is it accurate??

Sid/

Bronze Supporter
Mar 20, 2018
Sachse, Texas
Been adding quite of liquid chlorine from a popular grocery store here in Texas... It claims to be 8.5% Sodium Hypoclorite. When I add the suggested amount to the pool according to my pool math app; the test from my K-2006 test kit shows about 2 or 3 PPM or so lower than what it should read after adding the amount from what Poolmath says. Just trying to figure out what's going on. My assumptions are as follows: I'm not testing correctly, the 8.5% is not real, or maybe the volume of 17,300 gallons of water the the Pool builder says is wrong, or poolmath is wrong. I added some "blue whale" chlorine at 12.5% and getting some better readings from poolmath and what it says to 12.5% of the blue whale chlorine. Just curious about the readings on the jugs of chlorine. Has anyone seen the same on the advertised percent of Sodium Hypoclorite as being misleading??????

Not so much misleading, but bleach can get weak over time. Today's Julian date is 239, so if the bleach bottle has a date stamped on it like "18-230", it's only 9 days old. But the older the weaker. I doubt it's the PoolMath tool, although make sure the "WEIGHT" field is updated properly when doing your calculations. Testing variance?... sure. Sometimes. Lastly, the pool volume. Often times we think our pool is larger/smaller than it really is, but then other items would be off after dosing as well like pH and TA adjustments. So you might compare those as well.

I generally get my bleach from HEB (regular Bravo) and it's always very consistent.

TX Splash
I've bought alot of bleach from Kroger's and there brand is advertised as 8.5%. And I've just bought some from a local Pool store in Plano, TX as being 12.5% called "Blue Whale". The Kroger brand just seemed not to bring up the readings I should be getting from my additions of chlorine... We don't have HEB here in the Dallas area,,, the closed one is in Waxachie... wish we had one here. Thanks for the reply. I always check the latest Julian date and usually the date is only a couple months old from the Kroger store.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure any item that is being shipped to Texas has experienced some heat at one point. Unless it's shipped in a refrigerated container.. unless is winter time!!!! U think maybe HEB stores their bleach in a more controlled environment to better serve us pool owners???

I'm pretty sure any item that is being shipped to Texas has experienced some heat at one point. Unless it's shipped in a refrigerated container.. unless is winter time!!!! U think maybe HEB stores their bleach in a more controlled environment to better serve us pool owners???
Well, as someone who spent a few years in the grocery business, I know HEB is a better company than Kroger.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.