Sodium Dichloro vs Cal Hypo

Sep 5, 2018
Houston tx
Hello,
I'm new to this and here is my issue. I started off using Cal hypo to shock my pool and did this for about a year. A coupon came from a different company for shock but it was Sodium Dichloro. I bought some and noticed no difference at all when I added it to the pool. The water stayed clear. Actually I thought the pool looked better. When the dichloro ran out, I switched back to the Cal Hypo (coupons) and when I added it to the pool, the water got really really cloudy but eventually got better. Skip ahead a month and every time I add the cal hypo, the water still gets really cloudy. The cal hypo didn't do that when I first started out.

Can anyone let me know why this might be happening? Any thoughts on what I should do going forward?

Thank you in advance.

I suspect the data, at least some of it, is very wrong.

You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF100. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

Thank you. pool size is 15000 gallons - chlorine
Total Alkalinity:95
Cal hardness: 145 - need to add some Calcium
CYA: 48
PH: 7.7
Chlorine is a bit out of balance 0.7F/1.2Total
Unless you get a massive amount of rain, that calcium number looks quite low if you have been using cal-hypo.

My Leslies switched to an all electronic tester. Do you still think suspect? My neighbor has a laMotte Pro 7 I think (electronic in a red case). I'll go borrow his and report back.
You can if you like. We trust data from a Taylor based drop test. The ColorQ is known for inaccuracies.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.