Sodium bicarbonate and calcium chloride

May 14, 2018
Attleboro, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I need to raise both my alkalinity and hardness. I added my sodium bicarbonate at 10am this morning it is now 8 hours later is it too soon to adjust hardness with calcium chloride?

Thank You for any help.

I need to raise both my alkalinity and hardness. I added my sodium bicarbonate at 10am this morning it is now 8 hours later is it too soon to adjust hardness with calcium chloride?

Thank You for any help.
What was your TA then and now?

No need for Calcium in an above ground vinyl pool, unless you have a heater.

Last edited:
They can react together and cause problems, especially if the first chemical is just dumped in and sitting on the bottom.

If the first chemical is well distributed and the pool is well brushed, you are probably safe in a few hours, but I would wait being extra cautious.

Bicarb, salt or calcium can sit on the bottom for a day or more even if the system is running.

What’s your reasoning for adding CH to your pool? Most liner pools don’t have minimum recommended calcium levels.

When bicarbonate sits on the bottom, the pH goes to about 8.3 near the bicarbonate and some of the bicarbonate becomes carbonate, which combines with the calcium to form calcium carbonate scale.

carbonic%20acid%20bjerrum%20plot.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: PoolStored

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.