Sock with cya over return - how exactly?

rscam

Bronze Supporter
May 4, 2018
Merrick/NY (Long Island)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hi. I'm new to TFP and just starting my first season as a pool owner (bought a house). You all have been very helpful so far (reading this forum and a few questions answered, etc.). I have what I feel is a silly question, but have been unable to find by searching the forums. I need to add granular cya to the pool and plan to use the sock hanging in front of a return method. My question is how exactly do people accomplish this? Do people simply hang the sock with a rock from the edge of the pool? Wouldn't it basically lay against the side of the pool and potentially damage my vinyl liner? Or maybe I should suspend it from a stick that gets it out away from the wall a bit? Just curious what others do/recommend.

Thanks

Ron

Either use something to keep it away from the wall or fill a sock, tie it closed and toss it in the skimmer. You need to give a squeeze every once in a while. It will take up to a week for the CYA to show up in tests, but just assume it’s there for your chlorine dosing.

I throw mine in the skimmer while keeping the pump running. Next day, it's usually gone. If it's not, I'll manipulate the sock in front of the return until the sock is empty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.