SoCal *Splash* Pool

They did tile prep yesterday. They put a waterproofing compound on the middle section of the raised wall. Everywhere else, they just put a concrete float. As the guy was leaving, I asked if he was going to waterproof the waterline and spa tile area, perhaps with a paint-on waterproof product? He said he wasn't planning on it and didn't think it was needed.
I searched for answers here and on the internet after he left and wasn't able to get a definitive answer and can't reach the PB. Tiling begins MONDAY. Doesn't there NEED to be waterproofing under the tile to prevent/discourage efflorescence and other issues? Any tile experts out there?

Attachments

• 20210410_071835.jpg
    20210410_071835.jpg
    734 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210410_071840.jpg
    20210410_071840.jpg
    732.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210410_071844.jpg
    20210410_071844.jpg
    650.5 KB · Views: 51
Doesn't there NEED to be waterproofing under the tile to prevent/discourage efflorescence and other issues?

It helps to have the waterproofing but most builders don't do it and hope for the best.

Things like...

Reactions: Girija
It helps to have the waterproofing but most builders don't do it and hope for the best.
So it should have been in the concrete float, right? I looked at the bags they used, it's just plain cement. Should I insist on something going over the top? Should we do it ourselves - a paint-on-type product over the float? Isn't an ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure? :roll: (I know I'm preaching to the choir here at TFP!) :LOL:

Those specifications should have discussed with the builder during the design.

You or the builder can install it. It will take a while to get the product as I don't think you can find it in your big box hardware store.

Love your fence! What paint did you use? I'm sure you researched it. We need to paint ours and I'm glad we waited until after all the dust and mess was over. Easier to clean and then paint. Yes, our poor looking fence in the profile picture.

Ours put down a waterproofing layer - Some blue green paint type stuff. I had no idea they'd do that and didn't know it was needed. It was painted on the gunite and allowed to dry before the tile was put down.

Love your fence! What paint did you use? I'm sure you researched it. We need to paint ours and I'm glad we waited until after all the dust and mess was over. Easier to clean and then paint. Yes, our poor looking fence in the profile picture.

Ours put down a waterproofing layer - Some blue green paint type stuff. I had no idea they'd do that and didn't know it was needed. It was painted on the gunite and allowed to dry before the tile was put down.
Hi Solace! Sorry, I did not get a notice that you wrote and just now found your question. The fence paint is actually stain . . . Home Depot's Behr solid color waterproofing stain and sealer, color, "Atlantic." We had a white fence before and loved it, but it BLINDED us in the summer reflecting off the sun. We are VERY happy with the blue. FYI, it shows up darker in pics than it actually is in person, but still, it is a nice, deep rich color.
On another note, I ended up demanding we get waterproofing before the tile install and the PB agreed. We received two coats of basecrete everywhere tile was installed.

Attachments

• 20210422_114815.jpg
    20210422_114815.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Fence paint.jpg
    Fence paint.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Waterproofing.jpg
    Waterproofing.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Finished tile.jpg
    Finished tile.jpg
    722.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Tile on spa.jpg
    Tile on spa.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: RU4Cycling2
Hi Solace! Sorry, I did not get a notice that you wrote and just now found your question. The fence paint is actually stain . . . Home Depot's Behr solid color waterproofing stain and sealer, color, "Atlantic." We had a white fence before and loved it, but it BLINDED us in the summer reflecting off the sun. We are VERY happy with the blue. FYI, it shows up darker in pics than it actually is in person, but still, it is a nice, deep rich color.
On another note, I ended up demanding we get waterproofing before the tile install and the PB agreed. We received two coats of basecrete everywhere tile was installed.
OMG I LOVE your stain color. I was just looking at my backyard and was thinking the fence needs to get painted...was going to do gray...but now I need to goto Home Depot and see what my options are. =)

OMG I LOVE your stain color. I was just looking at my backyard and was thinking the fence needs to get painted...was going to do gray...but now I need to goto Home Depot and see what my options are. =)
Hi! Glad I could help out with your color selection :) And, thank you, it was one of those decisions that was so difficult to pull the trigger on. At one point, we had multiple options (blues and browns) we were considering and had ruled out the dark blue color. Luckily, we pulled it back out and changed our minds!

DITTO! I wrote down the Home Depot Behr stain rec and am going to check, too. Our fence needs something. I like that it's a water sealer and stain, too. It looks painted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.